Boxing

Ricky Burns, left, will fight Michele Di Rocco at the SSE Hydro.

Ricky Burns out to prove point in Michele Di Rocco WBA super-lightweight fight

Published 2 Comments

Football News
24/7

Article continues below

Article continues below

Ricky Burns admits he will be out to prove to himself that he can take another chance at world level when he fights Michele Di Rocco for the vacant WBA super-lightweight belt.

Burns and the Italian are fighting in Glasgow in May for the right to take on the WBA's "super" champion, which is currently Adrien Broner, who defends his title against Ashley Theophane on April 1.

The former WBO double world champion lost his last two fights in Glasgow - against Terence Crawford and Dejan Zlaticanin - and was declared bankrupt last year after a costly court battle against former promoter Frank Warren.

But he has worked his way back into title contention with bouts in England and Texas, where he lost on points to the heavier and undefeated Omar Figueroa.

The 32-year-old said: "I think I have more a point to prove to myself. There have been so many distractions outside of boxing the last couple of years but I think finally now I have got my head round it.

"I always just wanted to fight. That was never in question. Obviously it was hard but I've come through it.

"It's all about moving forward and I'm not going to get a bigger chance to put things right than this fight: a three-weight world title.

"There are so many different options for me if all goes well and I get the win, so I'm excited.

"It is a big incentive but everyone knows what I am like, in my eyes it's just another fight. But you are not going to get any bigger than this.

"The last couple of years have been up and down but I'm just looking forward now and hoping to put on a good performance.

"The next 10 weeks are going to be torture, I'm going to give it everything in camp and I'll be going out there to bring that title home."

Long-standing European champion Di Rocco will get his first fight at world level on May 28 but the Italian's only defeat came nine years ago.

Burns said: "Technically he's a very good boxer, very good record, and he can punch as well: 18 knockouts in 40 wins.

"So we know we have our hands full but I'm confident of going out and doing the job.

"He is talking about being dragged into a fight and everybody knows, if it does come down to that, I'm game."

The bout will be on the first professional boxing show at the SSE Hydro but there has been Scottish boxing success there when Charlie Flynn and Josh Taylor won gold medals at the Commonwealth Games. The former will fight on the undercard in May.

"There were a few different options but when this was offered, and there was a chance of it being at the Hydro, I said 'go for it'," Burns said.

"I have been away for two years now and been at the Hydro for a couple of concerts. It's a marvellous venue and I just can't wait to walk out there in front of all the fans."

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Boxing

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again