Last week, former WWE Superstar Hulk Hogan was awarded $115 million after winning his court case against Gawker in regards to a sex tape published by the website in 2012.
Now, the case's jury has added a further $25.1 million to that total after ignoring a mercy plea on Monday, as reported by CNN.
This decision, the punitive part of the case, was deliberated on for four hours by the jury before they found Gawker, its founder Nick Denton and former editor A.J. Daulerio liable to pay further damages to Hogan.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
Per CNN, Gawker has been ordered to pay a further $15 million in "punitive damages", while Denton and Daulerio are liable for $10 million and $100,000 sums, respectively.
The payout comes after the jury - four men and two women - had been urged by Gawker attorney Michael Berry not to inflict any further "unnecessary" punishment:
Article continues below
"Your verdict will send a chill down the spine of writers, producers and publishers throughout the country," he said before the verdict was reached.
The expected $25.1 million payout comes three days after Hogan was awarded $115 million in what many saw as a shock end result to a battle that has raged since Gawker published a section of a sex tape featuring Hogan.
The gossip website's representatives have already confirmed plans to appeal, citing unseen documents that they feel will see the decision overturned:
“There is so much this jury deserved to know and, fortunately, that the appeals court does indeed know," Gawker's President and General Counsel Heather Dietrick said.
"So we are confident we will win this case ultimately based on not only on the law but also on the truth."
For now, though, the former WWE star is set for a significant financial windfall. Speaking outside of the courthouse in St. Petersburg, Florida yesterday, Hogan was in thankful mood:
“I feel great. I'm really happy about everything that's happened,” the veteran former wrestler said, again via CNN.
“I think we made history today because I think we protected a lot of people from maybe going through what I went through. So we're very excited, very happy.”
It remains to be seen what happens next but this is a significant victory for Hogan after what has been a turbulent past few years.
As well as the ongoing sex tape case, Hogan was also caught up in a racism storm last year after footage in which he spouted derogatory racial remarks was made public.
Since then, he has been blackballed by the WWE and his future in the wrestling business looks bleak. Whether the verdicts over the past four days will help improve his reputation is unclear.