UFC

Diego Brandao.

Diego Brandao released from UFC two weeks after 'pistol-whip' incident

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Two weeks after being arrested on charges of aggravated battery with a deadly weapon and aggravated assault, MMA fighter Diego Brandao has been released from his contract with the UFC.

Although the UFC themselves are yet to announce the move officially, Fox Sports, citing sources with knowledge of the situation, are reporting that the Brazilian was let go by the organisation on Thursday in a move that is likely a response to an incident at a strip club earlier this month.

Brandao, the winner of season 14 of 'The Ultimate Fighter', is alleged to have 'pistol-whipped' an employee after an argument at a club called Knockouts in Albuquerque, New Mexico on April 14 in which he fought with three bouncers.

SIGN UP NOW

Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4

Article continues below

According to reports at the time, Brandao pointed a gun at one employee and hit another with the butt of his gun before leaving the scene in his car.

Reacting to the incident at the time, the UFC appeared to be willing to wait until the incident had made its way through the courts. Per MMA Junkie, the organisation said they would not rush into any decision before more information had been gathered.

Article continues below

A fortnight on from the alleged assault, it appears that information has led to the 28-year-old's departure from the UFC.

Brandao's actions at a strip club in New Mexico aren't the only red flags against his name recently, however.

UFC Fight Night: Brandao v Pineda

The featherweight fighter is still facing potential punishment stemming from a failed drugs test in the aftermath of his UFC 195 fight against Brian Ortega back in January. He tested positive for marijuana.

That bout at the turn of the year - one that ended in a third-round submission defeat - has now proved to be Brandao's last in the UFC and, per reports, is said to have contributed to his release.

The 5' 7" fighter leaves UFC having compiled a 6-4 record over the past four-and-a-half years.

He collected 'Fighter of the Night', 'Performance of the Night' and 'Submission of the Night' once each during his 10-fight UFC career, but had lost three of his last five fights and had only appeared on three match cards since losing to Conor McGregor at a UFC Fight Night event way back in July 2014.

Ultimately, it looks like, Brandao's failure to hit the heights inside the octagon coupled with his run in with the law away from UFC left Dana White and co. feeling there was no value in keeping the Brazilian on their books.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Dana White
UFC
Jose Aldo
Anderson Silva
Conor McGregor
Ronda Rousey

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport - UFC Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again