Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor look set to go one-on-one in what could be one of the biggest and richest fights in boxing history.
According to The Sun, the 39-year-old will come out of retirement to fight and put his joint-best boxing record in history of 49 wins and zero losses on the line against the UFC fighter in a boxing match, which is expected to take place in Las Vegas at the new arena inside the MGM Grand.
McGregor is only expected to make $7 million from this bout, while Money Mayweather, on the other hand, could earn a staggering $100 million. According to the paper, the only thing left to do for the fighters is to agree upon the purse and sign the documents.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
The Sun states that it won't be long before all of this happens, and an announcement will probably be made at some point over the next few weeks. On the face of it, this could be the final stand for each fighter in their verbal rivalry that has taken place over the past few months.
Via a source from the paper: “Floyd went mad after Conor said he would crush him and knock him out in 30 seconds, he’s obsessed with making Conor eat his words.
Article continues below
“Floyd is calling the shots. It’s strictly boxing and Conor will have to lose roughly 25lbs.
“It was agreed in principle on May 2, but Floyd wouldn’t reveal the identity of his opponent until last night when he told friends he’ll be fighting Conor.”
This rivalry stems from when Mayweather said he was annoyed that McGregor isn't criticized to the same extent as he is and he believes that's because of racism. The Irishman responded and said it has nothing to do with racism because his people have been oppressed for their entire existence. He then proceeded to ask the boxer for a fight, which by recent speculation may have been accepted.
Since then, Mayweather has had several challenges by other boxers for a fight, but he has turned every single one of them down. He'd rather enjoy retirement life than have one more fight, but it appears now he may have put all of that on hold.
The UFC fighter, on the other hand, has gone from winning in 13-seconds against Jose Aldo at UFC 194 for the Featherweight Championship to jumping up two weight divisions to fight Nate Diaz at UFC 196 only to lose via a rear-naked choke hold.
McGregor was scheduled to have a rematch against Diaz at UFC 200 later this year, but disagreements over media commitment led to him being removed from the event by Dana White, with a retirement and an unretirement announcement as well.
This will arguably one of the biggest bouts of either fighter's careers. We'll just have to wait and see if an agreement is made and if the fight actually takes place but take it with a pinch of salt for the time being until something is confirmed. Considering McGregor's boxing experience is nothing when compared to Mayweather, it will likely be a one-sided fight.
Take into account the Irishman is still contracted with UFC as well, who would be unlikely to allow this bout to take place while he is still a member of their promotion, don't bet your house on the mega fight happening.