Liverpool fans were starting to get very excited about the prospect of signing Mario Gotze.
The German had been heavily linked with a reunion with former manager Jurgen Klopp and it was reported that he was unsettled at the Allianz Arena.
The 23-year-old has only played 14 Bundesliga matches under Pep Guardiola this season and, with Carlo Ancelotti arriving in Munich in the summer, it was unclear whether his future remained at the German champions.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
Reports were suggesting that Klopp had done all he could to convince Gotze of a sensational reunion but it seems that wasn’t quite enough.
That’s because the midfielder has revealed he's likely to be staying at Bayern for the next campaign.
Article continues below
"I look forward to the new season in Munich and will do everything possible to compete in top shape during my first training under Carlo Ancelotti,” he said, per Bild.
It means that Liverpool are likely to miss out on, yet another, high-profile target after making their interest public.
The fact that their side has missed out on Gotze has angered many supporters on Twitter:
Gotze graduated through the Dortmund academy and was given his senior debut by Klopp at the Westfalenstadion.
He went on to play 116 times for the German side, winning two Bundesliga titles, the German Cup and reaching the Champions League final.
However, after that final, Gotze joined his opponents - Bayern Munich - in a move that angered many BVB fans.
In his three campaigns at Munich, Gotze has helped his side win three consecutive league titles as well as scoring the winning goal in extra-time of the 2014 World Cup for Germany against Argentina.
Gotze's split with agency
Earlier, it was reported that Gotze had split with his agency firm Sport Total. It was unclear what that meant in terms of Gotze future as they clearly had conflicting views as to where his future lay.
Volker Struth, a spokesperson for Sport Total, said: "Sport Total and Mario Götze end their six-year collaboration by mutual agreement. This is the result of a conversation SportsTotal CEO Volker Struth and the 23-year-old striker who led Bayern Munich last Saturday together.
“After extensive deliberations and discussions in the past few weeks, we have come together to decide that we terminate the cooperation. Therefore we met for a joint discussion and parted by mutual consent. I thank him for his many years of trust and wish him well for the future.”
While Gotze added: "I thank SportsTotal for a very good cooperation with many highlights and great memories that have shaped my career decisively."
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms