Last week, UFC president Dana White and the organisation's CEO Lorenzo Fertitta met with both Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz to attempt to negotiate a rematch between the two fighters.
While their Wednesday meeting with McGregor was said to have been productive, their discussion with Diaz on the Friday was apparently anything but. White admitted to ESPN it "wasn't a good day", while TMZ reported the UFC president had "stormed out" of their Stockton, California rendezvous.
Speaking yesterday in an appearance on the MMA Hour, however, Diaz has now set the record straight on just what went down when he met with the UFC hierarchy. The US fighter played down any sort of rift between himself and White:
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
"That was exaggerated,” Diaz said when asked whether White really had stormed out of their meeting.
“We finished talking and then we walked out. It wasn’t the worst meeting. It wasn’t the best meeting but it wasn’t the worst meeting either...Nothing is done, but I don’t think any damage was done."
Article continues below
Rather than any major bust up that could jeopardise any Diaz vs McGregor rematch, it looks like discussions over lunch at the end of last week were an opportunity to clear the air:
“We’re still on good terms. I’ve been texting with Dana. He’s real cool," continued the UFC star. "I’m sure he wasn’t the happiest at the moment, and I was thinking, ‘Wow, I might have pissed him off.’ But I just said what I had to say.
"I told him at the end, ‘I don’t want to piss anyone off. I’m just trying to get mine, because it’s time to get mine. It’s been a long road. I need to get mine while I can. If not, I don’t think I ever will.’"
Considering the recent speculation about a McGregor vs Mayweather fight, and the fact that the UFC weren't even going to meet with Diaz last week until he caught wind of their dinner date with his Irish rival, you can perhaps understand his stance when he did finally speak to White and Fertitta.
After handing The Notorious One his first defeat in the UFC, Diaz was, and still is, expecting to be rewarded with a big pay day when he next steps into the octagon. It doesn't sound like White was expecting that when he came to negotiate last week:
“I just basically told them what was up. I said that was the biggest fight they’ve had, I believe. Me versus Conor was the biggest numbers they’ve done or second biggest or something like that.
“...I said that was one of the biggest fights you’ve ever had on 10 days’ notice, and he’s the biggest draw that you’ve ever had and I just beat your biggest draw.
"So if you don’t mind, I would like to be compensated better than I was the last time or what they were trying to offer me.”
With Diaz wanting to get paid handsomely for his next fight, it looks like the UFC will have to put their hand in their pocket if they want to get him and McGregor back in the octagon any time soon.