It was only announced this past weekend at UFC 199 that Brock Lesnar would be coming back to the promotion for a one-off fight at UFC 200. What wasn't made clear however was who the WWE superstar was going to face on July 9 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Until today.
The former WWE World Heavyweight Champion was interviewed by ESPN's Hannah Storm during an appearance on ESPN SportsCenter earlier today to talk about his upcoming fight at UFC 200. This was where he revealed who would be sharing the octagon with him on that night.
The fighter that will be opposite Lesnar on July 9 will be Mark Hunt. The 38-year-old grappler will go up against the 42-year-old heavy hitter, who as of March 2016, is ranked as the number eighth best heavyweight in UFC.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
UFC 200 be the first time The Beast Incarnate has competed for the promotion since for four and a half years, dating back to December 2011 when he lost to Alistair Overeem at UFC 141.
Dana White said in an interview with TMZ Sports that 'it doesn't suck' to have Lesnar booked for the event. He also said the current WWE superstar was training well and that he was feeling 'like a million bucks' but he was concerned with the fact he has been away from fighting for quite a while.
Article continues below
Despite the time between fights, Lesnar needs an opponent that can definitely handle himself. After all, he is a former UFC Heavyweight Champion and he has been in the main event of six UFC pay-per-views. Hunt is definitely someone that can do just that as he has won his last two fights in UFC via knockout, with the last one coming up against Frank Mir in March earlier this year.
This time around, Lesnar will be co-main eventing UFC 200 alongside Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier who battle for the UFC Light Heavyweight Championship. Neither Lesnar vs Hunt nor Jones vs Cormier was scheduled for UFC 200 originally, as the rematch between Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz was suppose to headline the event.
However, after a disagreement between McGregor and UFC, that fight was stripped off the cards and it is now expected to take place at UFC 202 in August.
Just because The Beast is fighting at UFC 200, doesn't mean he has left the WWE. He's still under contract with the company and is expected to compete at SummerSlam later this year. UFC will even promote the WWE pay-per-view event at UFC 202, which takes place on the same weekend.
So it's confirmed. Brock Lesnar will face off against Mark Hunt at UFC 200 on July 9 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms