UFC

Brock Lesnar.

Brock Lesnar's SportsCenter comments rule out Conor McGregor theory

Published 2 Comments

Football News
24/7

Two days on from the bombshell that he would be returning to the UFC for a 'one-off' fight, Brock Lesnar went into more details about the shock announcement in an interview with ESPN on Monday.

Speaking to Hannah Storm, the former UFC Heavyweight Champion broached a number of topics, from who his opponent will be taking on - fellow veteran Mark Hunt - to what made him come back to the organisation he left in 2011.

One of the most interesting titbits of information, however, involved just when Lesnar and the UFC first began discussing the idea of a comeback bout.

SIGN UP NOW

Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4

Article continues below

"It's very simple, nobody called me. It wasn't nobody else's idea," the part-time WWE Superstar told SportsCenter. "Dana didn't pick up the phone because 'we need to fill a spot'."

"It didn't happen like that. I picked up the phone, it was me...it was three months ago. But it has taken some time for things to play out."

Article continues below

Lesnar's comments put to bed the speculation that the UFC had come to the two-time WWE Heavyweight Champion in the hope of finding a big name to fill the July 9 pay-per-view.

Ever since McGregor vs Diaz was pulled from the card last month some argued was lacking a little bit of star power. Ronda Rousey's continued absence only added to this feeling.

However, with Lesnar having come to them back in March, it doesn't look like this weekend's announcement was a last-minute plan.

UFC 100 - Frank Mir v Brock Lesnar

As we have seen with the McGregor vs Diaz rematch negotiations, putting on a fight is never as simple as a quick phone call.

There are so many things behind the scenes that need to be agreed upon and, in Lesnar's case, this also involved clearing his return with the WWE.

"Obviously, I'm still in a contract with WWE," The 38-year-old said. "You just go in and sit down and have a big boy conversation with the boss, Vince McMahon.

"It's simple, it is big business. It is billionaire business and I'm big business, so why the hell wouldn't anyone want Brock Lesnar involved."

First McMahon Million Dollar Mania Winners Announced

Whether the UFC is able to snag the veteran fighter for more than a 'one-off' bout is unclear at this stage. Lesnar himself wouldn't rule it out, however.

If the MMA promotion is able to retain his services in one way, shape or form beyond UFC 200, and with McGregor and Rousey expected back in the octagon before 2016 is done, it certainly is an exciting time for UFC.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Topics:
Dana White
UFC
Conor McGregor

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport - UFC Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again