For virtually the entire month of March all the talk surrounding Conor McGregor was whether or not a rumoured fight against Floyd Mayweather Jr. would materialise.
Then, at UFC 199 on June 4, the UFC made the announcement that a rematch between McGregor and Nate Diaz had, in fact, been agreed upon for the UFC 202 pay-per-view on August 20.
With McGregor's return to the octagon confirmed, many assumed the Mayweather speculation had been put to bed. Judging by comments from the Irish fighter's coach today, however, that is far from the case. It might just be slightly delayed:
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
"It puts it on hold. I think that contest will happen eventually but it's on hold for now," McGregor's head coach John Kavanagh told MMA Underground. "I'd be very surprised if it doesn't at some stage.
"I think it's a bigger fight; I think there's a lot of intrigue about it. I could be 100% wrong. Right now we're focusing on August 20th.
"We have an important rematch - a mixed martial arts fight - but if in time that fight was to be announced it would not surprise me and I think it would be an interesting one."
Obviously, Kavanagh knows the intricacies of McGregor's future plans better than most, so his comments are intriguing to say the least.
As he said, however, just because he thinks what would be a hugely lucrative fight against the boxing great will eventually happen, that doesn't mean it definitely will.
There are plenty of people who want to see The Notorious One and 'Money' Mayweather go head-to-head - including the two fighters themselves - but there are plenty of obstacles in the way, not least UFC president Dana White.
If the decision makers were able to agree on the complex parameters such a bout would involve - from 'boxing-only' rules to the purses for each fighter - the question would then become just when could the fight take place.
The McGregor vs Diaz rematch in August means Fox Sports reporter Colin Cowherd's claim that a September date had already been agreed upon is now impossible.
Another report, though, had suggested that May 2017 was in the works. A full nine months on from UFC 202, that would certainly give everyone involved the time needed to prepare for what would be a unique occasion.
As for McGregor's chances if the Mayweather fight ever materialises, Kavanagh wasn't ruling out his man:
"Who knows? We could upset the world. The great Ali said, ‘the impossible is nothing.'"