An eagerly anticipated bout between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin is set to take place in Autumn 2017, after the two fighter's promoters met to discuss a deal.
Following Alvarez's brutal sixth-round knockout of Amir Khan last month, the Mexican openly admitted that he was looking towards a bout with Golovkin (35-0-KO32), however, he chose to vacate his WBC World title belt, rather than opting to accept an "artificial deadline" to fight the mandatory challenger, Golovkin.
Alvarez has been keen to complete a deal for the fight to go ahead as soon as possible, and his promoter, Oscar De La Hoya, announced on Wednesday that a deal had been struck with the Kazakh fighter's promoter, Tom Loeffler.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
"On Tuesday, Tom Loeffler came to Golden Boy Boxing's offices and we agreed that the mega fight between Canelo and GGG would occur next fall." said De La Hoya, as reported by Sky Sports.
But despite not ruling out sticking to the scheduled timescale for the fight, Loeffler has denied that an agreement has been set in stone.
Article continues below
"It would be great if we had some binding agreement, but we don't," said Loeffler. "I did meet with Golden Boy and they want to build the fight and shoot for the fall of 2017.
"From our side, we're going to continue to try to put together the biggest fights for Gennady. Both sides want to make the fight, but it is a mischaracterisation to say there is a deal."
Golovkin currently holds the IBF and WBA Super versions of the title, which Alvarez hopes to claim and then make an assault on dominating the middleweight division.
However, Alvarez's reluctance to fight at the 160lbs middleweight limit, could prove to be a stumbling block, with the Mexican's two title fights having been made at the 155lbs catchweight - one pound above the super-welterweight limit.
Golovkin is also understood to be stubborn about what division he will fight in, with the 34-year-old not ready to compromise on a bout outside of his natural weight.
The Kazakh's latest knockout win came against Dominic Wade, back in April, while Alvarez has won three of his five fights by knockout, since suffering his only professional career defeat against Floyd Mayweather Jr back in 2013.
Chris Eubank Jr is also chasing a fight with Golovkin, and hopes to take his world title belts. But first, he faces Tom Doran at the O2 Arena on Saturday, in hope of retaining his British middleweight belt.
Could Canelo Alvarez be the first fighter to defeat Gennady Golovkin? Have your say in the comment box below.