Tyson Fury has apologised to his fans via his Instagram account, after announcing that his world title rematch with Wladimir Klitschko has been postponed, after suffering a sprained ankle while in training for his fight at the Manchester Arena, which was set for July 9.
The 'Gypsy King' is well known for his rants on social media, but news that the defence of his world title belts was to be postponed took fans by shock, and are now eagerly awaiting when the rescheduled fight date will be.
Klitschko had activated a rematch clause in the previous fight contract, after Fury ended the Ukrainian's 11-year stranglehold on the heavyweight division, by taking his WBA and WBO heavyweight titles, for a fight in the UK.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
However, the 40-year-old will now have to patiently await a date for the rescheduled fight, with it having been seven months since the two heavyweights warriors last met in the ring, in Dusseldorf.
Announcing the postponement on Instagram, Fury said: “Hey guys, I’ve got a little bit of bad news for you all. About ten days ago I was running up in the Lake District and I went over on my ankle - sprained by ankle.
“I’ve been to the hospital, had x-rays and MRI scans and all that stuff. They say it’s not broken, but it’s badly sprained, keep off it for six, seven weeks and I still tried to train a bit.
“I had a second opinion, a week later, and I had the same advice, so the fight will be being postponed."
But Fury was keen to reassure his fans that the fight will still go ahead, as he looks to maintain his unbeaten record, having won all 25 of his fights, 18 by knockout.
The 27-year-old added: “Sorry to all my fans, to tell you all down. But injuries do happen, and it’s one of them things.
“My apologies to everybody who’s booked dates and whatever, but the fight will be on as soon as possible. That’s all I know at this moment.
“But the fight is still going ahead, as soon as it gets better, we will reschedule. Thank you all, and God bless.”
With just two weeks until the fight was set to take place, boxing fans had been keen to see if the Lancashire fighter could, again, defeat the heavyweight kingpin, after Klitschko was favourite for victory in the previous fight.
He sounds like Hitler
Meanwhile, prior to finding out the news about his injury, Fury had slated his opponent just hours early, on Instagram, after Klitschko claimed "he sounded like Hitler", following recent comments reported in the media.
Responding to the 40-year-old's claims, Fury said: "We can both play silly c**** can't we? You stupid f****** prick."
But Fury fans will seemingly have to wait until early September, before they can see the world champion step out into the ring, and hope to settle his ongoing feud with Klitschko.
Will Tyson Fury's injury setback hand Wladimir Klitschko an advantage in the eventual rematch? Have your say in the comment box below.