Daniel Bryan WWE.

Daniel Bryan reveals that he was basically ordered to retire

Published 3 Comments

Ever since Daniel Bryan left the WWE, the wrestling promotion has been a much darker place, with Roman Reigns and other pretenders to the throne taking his spot at the top of the card.

The former World Heavyweight Champion was forced to retire due to the impact of concussions on his brain, as well as the discovery of some lesions on his brain that had been causing post-concussive seizures. 

We haven't seen much of Bryan at all since then, but now the 35-year-old has come out and gone into more detail about his retirement.


Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4

Article continues below

Vince's Call

Speaking in a recent interview with Rob Burns of The Daily World, Bryan revealed that it was Vince McMahon who told him to retire.

Bryan retired with an emotional speech in front of his hometown crowd in Seattle, Washington in February of this year. That wasn't originally going to be the plan, until Vince McMahon called him up and told Bryan that's where he wanted the former superstar to retire.

Article continues below

“On a Saturday, Vince calls up and tells me he wants me to retire in Seattle on Monday,” Daniel said in the interview.

Never Going to be Cleared

Apparently, the big problem that was stopping Bryan from making a return to the squared circle was the WWE doctors, who were still refusing to clear him despite the wrestler receiving second and third opinions from other brain specialists who said he had made a good recovery.

The WWE doctor just wouldn't budge, though. So, Bryan decided that it was finally time to bow out and where better to do it than in front of your family and friends?

“I told him I didn’t know if I was ready," he added. "Then, I went to the gym and I talked to my wife (Bree) and we realized the WWE is never going to allow me to wrestle again, even if I get a million doctors to clear me. So, if I was going to do it, my Mom would get to see it, as well as my family and friends."


Bryan still has three years left on his WWE contract and it appears that the company are honoring that, which is good of them. The former superstar still hasn't quite decided what he wants to do following his wrestling career yet.

“Realistically, no one should feel bad for me,” he said. “I am getting paid to figure out what I want to do. Who gets to do that?”

Right now, Bryan is commentating on the WWE's Cruiserweight Classic tournament alongside Mauro Ranallo. Judging by some of his previous work, he has a bit of a knack for it. And if he goes into that full-time following the upcoming brand split, either on SmackDown or RAW, all fans will be happy.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms

Daniel Bryan
Vince McMahon

Article Comments

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport - WWE Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again