Chris Eubank Jr's world title fight against the undefeated Gennady Golovkin could be announced as early as Thursday, according to Matchroom Sport promoter Eddie Hearn, after the 26-year-old successfully defended his British middleweight title against Tom Doran.
The Brighton fighter's fourth-round stoppage of Doran put him firmly in the hot seat to face knockout specialist Golovkin, with Eubank Jr calling out the Kazakh immediately after making his first defence of his British belt at the O2 on Saturday.
And Hearn will now work on the finer details of a fight contract that will see Golovkin travel to London to put his belts on the line against the son of former world champion, Chris Eubank, with the O2 Arena expected to be the venue for the bout.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
It had been suggested that Eubank Jr and Golovkin would produce a crowd worthy of expanding beyond an indoor venue and for it to be a stadium fight, such as Wembley. However, with the new football season underway in just over a month, a fight at the O2 looks most likely.
It had been revealed last week by Hearn, that a fight between Eubank Jr and Golovkin was close to being agreed, although, it hinged on the middleweight defeating Doran - which he did in an emphatic display.
Article continues below
Hearn branded Golovkin "the most dangerous fighter on the planet" and told Sky Sports of the busy few days ahead in securing Eubank Jr his first world title fight.
"This is a fight that many people struggle to get their heads around," said Hearn.
"You've got a young, upcoming, world quality operator in Chris Eubank Jr, who is willing and prepared to take on the number one pound-for-pound fighter in the world and the most dangerous fighter on the planet, in Gennady Golovkin.
"I am waiting for the Eubanks to turn round and say we're not serious, it's just for a bit of press and PR. They are deadly serious and we took another major step to that fight now, and I believe this fight will be made this week, I really do."
Golovkin (35-0-KO32) is arguably the most feared fighter, having never tasted defeat in his professional career and has seen some of the middleweight division's biggest names having bucked at the chance to fight the 34-year-old.
However, Eubank Jr is looking to prove his worth and strongly believes that he can end Golovkin's dominance of the middleweight division, with the Kazakh holding the WBA Super, WBC and IBF belts.
"The danger is that everybody talks about fighting people, you've seen Golovkin was supposed to fight Canelo, Canelo decided to swerve that fight." Hearn added.
Eubank Jr confident
"Billy Joe Saunders has been linked, he swerved the Golovkin fight. I don't blame them, no elite fighter wants to fight Golovkin apart from Chris Eubank Jr.
"It will be one of the biggest fights in this country and when was the last time a name like Golovkin came and defended three belts. It's unheard of and they (Eubanks) really believe they can win the fight.
"I know they want the fight and I know Golovkin will take the fight. It will be my job in the next 48-72 hours to get that closed off and produce another huge event."
Eubank Jr has fought at the O2 Arena on three occasions, and has proved to be a good omen for the 26-year-old; having firstly won the interim WBA World middleweight title, before successfully defending his British title at the Greenwich venue on Saturday.
And Golovkin responded to Eubank Jr calling him out, immediately after British title defence, writing on his Twitter account: "I'm ready, who's next? @chriseubankjr @eddiehearn @skysportsboxing."
Is Chris Eubank Jr ready to fight Gennady Golovkin? Have your say in the comment box below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms