Now that the rosters are finalised following the WWE draft, it’s no secret that Monday Night Raw managed to bring in most of the top stars, leaving SmackDown Live trailing behind.
The huge names in Seth Rollins, Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns were snagged by Stephanie McMahon and Mick Foley, while most WWE fans would also argue that they trumped Shane McMahon and Daniel Bryan regarding mid-card talent also.
The rules did highlight how Raw would receive more picks, as it was a longer show, and rumours also suggested that the WWE had reached out to former talent to sign with the company once more to add depth.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
According to various outlets, five former WWE stars are rumoured to have already signed with the company, or are in deep discussions to be making a return.
One that is all but confirmed is Rhyno. He’s made a few returns to NXT to help put over younger talent over the past year or so, and he did the same this week when NXT Champion Samoa Joe defeated him.
Article continues below
PWInsider are reporting that Rhyno has signed a deal with the company to appear on both Raw and SmackDown. His experience will be valuable not only to the mid-card talent, but it’s obvious that SmackDown will need more stars to compete on the show on a weekly basis, even if it is to put the younger talent over.
Curt Hawkins is another that’s been confirmed to make a return; he was released in 2014 because of budget cuts, and the former ‘Edgehead’ is also brought in to add more depth to the SmackDown roster.
CHANCE TO SHINE
ProWrestlingSheet.com are reporting that the WWE are now in talks with Jinder Mahal to make a return as well. Having worked with The Great Khali and as one-third of 3MB, he’s no stranger to how the WWE works either.
Heath Slater’s Social Outcasts have now been broken up because of the draft, while 3MB was also broken up because of releases to Mahal and Drew McIntyre. Now that Slater is running with the ‘free agent’ gimmick, the WWE may opt to pair the former partners up again, but it also gives him a chance to shine with the brand extension in effect.
Former SmackDown general manager Theodore Long was on the Gerwick Report Podcast earlier this week, and let it slip that two more former stars have been approached by the WWE to make a return.
Long claimed to have met former United States Champion MVP at a wrestling event recently and said that MVP told him that he, along with the talented former Intercontinental Champion, Shelton Benjamin are scheduled to have their medicals with the WWE before returning to the company.
However, based on the Tweet MVP sent out earlier today, he played down the rumours of making a return.
Now we wait and see whether MVP and The Gold Standard will make their highly-anticipated, and welcomed returns to the WWE.
Should the WWE bring in these five stars to help build SmackDown Live? Have your say in the comments section below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms