On Tuesday, Juventus confirmed the signing of Gonzalo Higuain from Napoli in a deal worth a staggering £75.3 million.
The announcement put to an end any faint hopes Arsenal had of bringing the Argentinian striker to The Emirates, but with such a huge fee being paid some may feel like it was a wise move not to compete financially with the Old Lady.
In fact, when you look at the list of most expensive players in the history of the game and add Higuain's Juventus move to the equation, a lot of people will be stunned to see the names ranking lower than the 29-year-old.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250 word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
Here is where the £75.3 million deal ranks...
1) Gareth Bale - £85.1 million - Tottenham Hotspur to Real Madrid
The Welshman still tops the list after his 2013 move to Los Blancos. Having helped the Spanish giants win two Champions Leagues and starred for Wales at Euro 2016, he has already paid a lot of that investment back.
Article continues below
2) Cristiano Ronaldo - £80 million - Manchester United to Real Madrid
Arguably the biggest star in the sport, Ronaldo has taken his game to another level since arriving at Madrid in 2009. With 260 goals for the club, two Champions League winners medals and a La Liga title it was certainly money well spent.
3) Gonzalo Higuain - £75.3 million - Napoli to Juventus
Spending such a huge amount on a 28-year-old is a huge gamble by Juventus. Granted he has just scored 36 goals for Napoli last season but, unlike every other player on this list, his best years might well be behind him. Only time will tell, but the names that rank below make it look like a big gamble.
4) Neymar - £71.5 million - Santos to Barcelona
Since arriving at Camp Nou as one of the most hyped young players in world football, the Brazilian has gone on to form one third of the most lethal attacking trio in the game today alongside Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez. Still only 24, Neymar has plenty of time to pay off his big money move.
5) Luis Suarez - £65 million - Liverpool to Barcelona
Another part of the fabled 'MSN' trio, Suarez came at such a high price because of his outstanding 2013/14 campaign for Liverpool. Arguably, however, the Uruguayan has stepped things up even further in La Liga and would cost even more if any club tried to take him away from Barca.
Rest of the top 10...
6) James Rodríguez - £63 million - AS Monaco to Real Madrid
7) Kevin De Bruyne - £55 million - Wolfsburg to Manchester City
8) Angel Di Maria - £59.7 million - Real Madrid to Manchester United
9) Zlatan Ibrahimovic - £59 million - Inter Milan to Barcelona
10) Zinedine Zidane - £46.6 million - Juventus to Real Madrid
Do you think Higuain is worthy of being the third most expensive player in history? Have your say in the comments below...
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms