Arsene Wenger was forced to face questions about Arsenal's alleged bid for Alexandre Lacazette on Wednesday morning after Lyon decided to make it public.
A statement released on Lyon's official website explained that they had knocked back a €35million bid from the Gunners and had no intention of selling their star striker.
A number of pundits and in-the-know journalists have suggested that Arsenal's interest is far from over and that an improved bid is likely to be submitted in the coming days.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
But if fans are looking for more information on Lacazette's future, they shouldn't bother asking Wenger, who appeared irked by the fact that his transfer activities had been made public.
He refused to delve into his thinking behind the €35m offer and said he preferred it if talks between clubs remained a secret until a deal had been completed.
Article continues below
Asked whether he wanted to expand on Lyon's Lacazette statement, Wenger told reporters: "Not really. Lyon are responsible for their own statements.
"On the transfer front I think always the best is to keep it as secret as possible and if we sign somebody we announce it, but I cannot tell you much more than that."
Wenger was, however, more open to discussing which positions he is currently looking to strengthen. While it is obvious that Arsenal need an established striker, the Frenchman admitted he would be on the lookout for an experienced defender to replace the injured Per Mertesacker.
The Arsenal boss said: “We have to look for an option to get a bit more experience. With Per being out, we are a bit short on the experience front and we are looking to bring somebody in.”
On Mertesacker's injury, he said: “He [Per] played in Lens on Friday night, he finished the game and had a little pain on his knee. We found out the next day that it was much more serious than expected. He had surgery in Germany and it went well."
Arsenal take on the MLS All-Stars on Friday night as part of their pre-season tour of the United States. New signing Rob Holding is expected to play alongside Calum Chambers in defence.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms