While the arrival of Pep Guardiola has predominantly sparked excitement at Manchester City, the Spaniard’s entrance hasn’t been good news for everyone. Most notably, of course, Joe Hart.
In the space of just a few months, the England shot stopper has gone from the first name on the team sheet at the Etihad Stadium to being shepherded out the exit. It’s proven a swift demise.
In addition, after weeks of speculation, Hart’s next destination has finally been agreed and the player’s agent has confirmed it. A surprising loan move to Torino proves the resolution to one of the summer’s more unexpected transfer sagas.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
At Manchester City, things have swiftly unraveled for Hart.
Guardiola’s impetus on passing football has seen the 29-year-old’s distribution issues come back to bite.It appeared such an issue that the new Spanish tactician favoured the inferior shot stopper Willy Cabellero in the season’s opening games.
Although the writing had been on the wall prior to the move, the capture of Claudio Bravo made the situation abundantly clear to Hart.
Consequently, rumours started circulating as to where he would assume position next. Nevertheless, it appeared his Euro 2016 gaffes had a greater long-term impact than he would have immediately assumed.
While numerous clubs such as Sevilla and Sunderland were proposed, Torino have immerged as the side to secure Hart’s signature. Juventus’ local rivals are poised to snatch the Englishman on a season long loan.
According to FourFourTwo, Hart’s representative Jonathan Barnett confirmed: "Yes, Joe Hart will play for Torino.
"It is done. The goalkeeper said yes to the club and now Manchester City has given its green light."
In the midst of the deal, the 29-year-old is on international duties ahead of a World Cup qualifying clash with Slovakia. Nonetheless, England boss Sam Allardyce has explained that such commitments won’t impact upon the deal.
The ex-Sunderland boss told a press conference on Monday: "I'm sure if there is anything in the pipeline that Joe will tell us that this may happen.
"We can get ready for it just in case it does. We'll address the players today that, for anything in that area, for us to know as quickly as possible and deal with it as quickly as we possibly can."
Consequently, although Torino would appear as one of the more unexpected suitors, the shot stopper’s future lies in Serie A.
For many it exemplifies how far the Hart saga has gone and certainly given the extent to which it has progressed, Guardiola must hope the gamble pays off. After all, if Bravo flops, then it won’t be long before fans get on his back.
Do you think Pep Guardiola is right to offload Joe Hart this summer? Have YOUR say in the comment box below