Major League Soccer have confirmed David Beckham is in talks over a possible loan move to AC Milan but insisted any deal would only be short term.

AC Milan confirmed on Wednesday their desire to sign Beckham in January with initial speculation being that Beckham would head to Italy for six months. However, in a statement issued late on Wednesday night, MLS said the deal would be restricted to around two to three months to allow Beckham to return to Los Angeles in time for the start of the 2009 MLS season in late March.

"Discussions have taken place between AC Milan and the Los Angeles Galaxy regarding the possibility of a short-term loan agreement that would allow David Beckham to play for AC Milan during the MLS offseason," MLS commissioner Don Garber said.

"Those discussions are ongoing. David remains an LA Galaxy player and will be here for the start of the 2009 MLS season."

The Los Angeles Galaxy have so far declined to comment on any possible deal.

Beckham, 33, wants to remain match fit through the MLS off-season in order to keep alive his chances of playing for England.

Beckham was told by England boss Fabio Capello that he would not be considered for the planned friendly in Spain if he was not playing club football at the time of the match.

A move for two to three months would have obvious benefits for Beckham, who with 107 caps is 18 appearances short of equalling the England record held by Peter Shilton.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2008, All Rights Reserved.

Topics:
#Internationals
#David Beckham
#Peter Shilton
Flag article