Conor McGregor and Eddie Alvarez for the UFC lightweight title is set in stone for the UFC 205 event in New York on November 12.
Madison Square Garden has never hosted an MMA event and is actually synonymous with professional wrestling, helping the WWE rise to the top of its profession in the late 1980's and early 90s.
However, the world of MMA, and the UFC, in particular, have grown tremendously over the past decade and the significance of running an inaugural show in a massive market like the Big Apple is not to be understated.
It was always speculated that the UFC would try and pull out their big guns for the event, much like they did for the landmark event of UFC 200.
However, when several bouts were already announced for the event, names like McGregor or Rousey were missing.
That all changed earlier this week when McGregor was granted a fight to compete for a second championship on top of his UFC featherweight title.
How did the fight come about? That was a very simple question for McGregor to answer at the UFC 205 press conference this week.
“I said it out straight, ‘beg me,' and they begged me,” McGregor insisted, with UFC president Dana White looking on sheepishly.
This comes as no surprise in many ways. White tried to dig his heels in and force McGregor back down to featherweight and defend against Jose Aldo, but, clearly, the Notorious One's ambitions supersede what the president wants.
Aldo has requested his release after missing out on the fight and White now says McGregor will be stripped of his 145lb title if he defeats Alvarez.
It's all getting a bit soap opera-like in the UFC. Maybe the world of professional wrestling is rubbing off now they are set for the hallowed ground of MSG.