Injuries have threatened to derail Manchester City defender Vincent Kompany's long-standing Etihad career in recent seasons.
The 30-year-old has been plagued by injuries during his time at City, however, it has fortunately not stopped the Belgium international winning two Premier League titles with the club.
However, Kompany did miss this summer's European Championships following a groin injury he sustained after just eight minutes of City's second-leg semi-final defeat by Real Madrid in the Champions League.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
While the defensive midfielder turned defender has recorded a vast amount of Premier League appearances for the Citizens over the years, he has also accumulated a vast amount of injuries - suffering no less than 14 calf problems during his time in Manchester.
But in order for Kompany to have a future under new boss Pep Guardiola, who is clearly showing no signs of holding back the axe during his brief spell at the Etihad so far, the Belgian admits he has had to make a compromise with the Spaniard's medical staff.
"My situation is very simple," said Kompany, as per the Daily Mail. "I've been out for six months. I've had to make one commitment to the medical staff, which was that I'd be honest towards them with my feelings, and that I would listen to them when they made a decision.
"I told them how I felt the day before the game and they made the decision for me. That I wanted to play, of course, that wasn't even in doubt, but I've just made this commitment to listen to them a little bit more.
"Maybe another day I would never have gone off after 70 minutes like I did (against Southampton) but it's part of the bargain, let's put it that way, and it's for the best."
Sunday's 1-1 draw with the Saints marked Kompany's first Premier League start of the season, having featured just twice before that this campaign - against Swansea in the EFL Cup and against Everton in the league.
Kompany will be fully aware of the task at hand to dislodge new arrival John Stones from the team, who only arrived at the Etihad in the summer, amongst other more experienced defenders within the City ranks.
Plagued by injury
The Belgian suffered five injury setbacks during the course of last campaign, and started just 20 of City's 58 games, having suffered a 33rd injury of his career at the Etihad.
A toe injury had hindered him for the first two months of his second season at City, but it was not until 2012 that recurring hamstring and calf problems threatened to jeopardise his career with the Premier League big spenders.
Guardiola will no longer afford the Belgian the chance to take risks when not deemed appropriately fit, and whether Kompany can become a regular starter for the Spaniard, particularly went selecting a three-man defence, remains to be seen.
Does Vincent Kompany have a long-term future under Pep Guardiola at Manchester City? Give your opinion in the comment box below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms