George Groves has sent a message of support to German opponent Eduard Gutknecht after the 34-year-old was rushed to hospital, having collapsed following a brutal 12 rounds of boxing at Wembley Arena.
The London super middleweight comfortably dismissed Gutknecht on Friday night to win his fourth successive bout, since losing his third world title fight of his career against Badou Jack, back in September 2015.
However, despite appearing to be ok when the scorecards were announced, the German collapsed in his dressing room following the fight and was rushed to hospital after he “briefly stopped breathing and was drifting in and out of consciousness” as per the Mirror.
SIGN UP NOW
Want to become a GMS writer? Sign up now and submit a 250-word test article: http://gms.to/haveyoursay4
Article continues below
Groves was dominant throughout the WBA International super middleweight title bout, inflicting a number of brutal blows on the Kazakhstan-born fighter in the fourth round.
Gutknecht's poor condition became visible in the tenth round, when a cut opened up around his eye, but displayed his tough character by seeing out the full 12 rounds of the fight.
Article continues below
Groves' opponent was resuscitated on his way to hospital and underwent emergency surgery on Friday night at the same hospital now retired boxer Nick Blackwell - who was brutally beaten by Chris Eubank Jr - was placed in a medically-induced coma.
Now yet again looking for another world title fight, Groves took to Twitter to voice his support for his opponent, whose condition will be continually monitored over the coming days.
"Out of respect to Eduard Gutknecht and his family's privacy I don't want to say too much but we were all deeply concerned to hear that he was taken to hospital after the fight last night." said Groves.
"I sincerely hope it is nothing too serious and I would like to send out all of my support and best wishes to him and his family at this difficult time."
Groves' trainer Shane McGuigan also took to Twitter to voice his support for Gutknecht, alongside IBF World Super Bantamweight champion Carl Frampton.
Groves - who's victory was scored 119-110, 119-109, 119-109 - has admitted, following his convincing win, that he would love to return to the ring against Jack, who denied him his first world title in a split decision loss last year.
The Londoner also lost twice to Carl Froch in a bid to claim his IBF and WBA super middleweight belts back in 2013, with the rematch in 2014 also proving unsuccessful - losing both bouts by technical knockout.
No easy fights for Groves
And the 28-year-old insists that he will not take on any easy opponents - as showcased on Friday night - in his long-term bid for world title glory.
"We want real, big, proper fights. There was no world title on the line, but we knew Gutknecht was going to give me a tough fight." said Groves.
"[This win] will push me on for a world title fight and, ideally, I would love a rematch with Badou Jack."
Jack faces Groves' bitter rival James DeGale in a super-middleweight showdown in New York in January. And Groves is hoping that the Sweden-born one-time defeated boxer can shatter DeGale's unification ambitions in hope of securing a rematch.
Would Badou Jack realistically consider a rematch with George Groves, should he defeat James DeGale in January? Have your say in the comment box below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms