India Test captain Virat Kohli outright denied allegations of him tampering with the ball during the first match against England at Rajkot, with reports claiming he used a sweet to shine it.
The incident was perceived by some that the Indian ace had a small mint in his mouth before shining the ball with saliva.
Upon the publication of reports, Kohli admitted that he has heard of such allegations, but described them as completely false and simply laughed them off.
Article continues below
He also expressed his surprise at the fact that nothing was mentioned until the conclusion of the second test.
Sky Sports quoted the 28-year-old saying: “I’m surprised the issue of what I’ve been told came up in Rajkot, but there was no mention until the result in Vizag.
Article continues below
“To me, a newspaper article doesn’t matter over the decision of ICC. We as cricketers respect that only. Allegations and speculations? Someone told me, and I laughed it off.”
The World Cup winner is adamant that some people are attempting to deviate attention away from the pitch, but is confident they will not succeed in their endeavours.
He added: “Some people are trying to take the focus away from the series – good luck to them. But we’re totally focused on what we have to do. If I was doing something (wrong), ICC would have spoken to me.”
A similar incident occurred recently when South African star Faf du Plessis was fined the entire match fee following the second test against Australia, with video evidence suggesting he indulged in ball-tampering.
Du Plessis has appealed the ban against the ICC verdict, but the Indian captain faced no such prohibitions as the governing body’s stipulated five-day window to start proceedings had already passed when the footage surfaced.
Kohli expects England to respond in an attacking manner after India’s thumping 246-run victory in the second Test as Cook & co. recall Jos Buttler.
“He’s a very talented player. We’ve all seen him do very well for England, (and) we all saw him do really well in Bangladesh as well during the ODI series where he showed composure.
“So we know he’s a quality player. We understand his potential and we’re quite aware what he brings to the table. We’re not thinking it’s a decision made in panic.”
India lead the five-match series 1-0 as we gear up for the third test scheduled to begin on November 26 in Mohali.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms