Assistant coach Ray Wilkins has given the biggest hint yet that Chelsea will be in the market for a striker in the January transfer window.
Previously Chelsea chief-executive Peter Kenyon had insisted the club would be not be active in the January transfer window but now Wilkins has hinted they will be looking to strengthen their attacking options in case of injuries to either Nicolas Anelka or Didier Drogba.
He said: "We have got the injury situation haven't we? If you lose both in the same game, you always need cover with injuries."
He added: "You have to have a top end of your side with goalscoring ability otherwise we are not going to progress through the Premier League.
"We have supplemented Didier's injury with the players we have here and Nicolas' goals have been top drawer, so from that aspect we are thrilled and it has been fantastic."
Anelka found himself on the left-hand side of the front three in Friday's 2-0 win against West Brom - a position he disliked under former coach Avram Grant.
But he is almost certain to remain there for the time being if Scolari insists on sticking with his 4-3-3 system. Wilkins appeared to confirm that scenario when he praised the skills of Drogba in a central role.
"He has the ability to get hold of the ball when it is in difficult areas and to bring other people into the game," said Wilkins.
"He is the best there is at it. He can get hold of the ball on his chest and kill the game up front for us. It allows the likes of Frank Lampard and Michael Ballack the opportunity to get forward and into the penalty area."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2008, All Rights Reserved.