Wigan manager Steve Bruce expects Antoine Sibierski to return to the club when his loan spell at Norwich ends next week.

Some reports had suggested the Frenchman had already joined the Canaries permanently on a free transfer. However, Bruce denied that was the case and said he would welcome the striker back to the JJB Stadium a week on Saturday.

"Sibi is due to come back on January 17 and I've no problem about that happening," Bruce said.

He added: "The loan has served its purpose as Sibi has got some games under his belt and would be available for our squad.

"At the moment there hasn't been an approach from Norwich to take him for longer, so I assume he will come back to us."

Bruce is also hopeful the signing of Colombia striker Hugo Rodallega will be slightly more straightforward than his attempts to bring in Honduras international Hendry Thomas in the summer.

Wigan agreed a fee with Olimpia for the defensive midfielder but the 23-year-old was denied a work permit as he had not played the required number of matches due to being involved in Olympic qualifiers.

Bruce, however, is more optimistic about the move for Rodallega, for whom the club are believed to be paying £4.5million to Mexican club Necaxa.

"We have to go and apply for a work permit - I believe that has been set for some time next week - and I believe that's on the agenda," he told the Wigan Evening Post.

"I don't envisage there will be any problems - I hope not anyway. I hope we can tie it up. He is only 23 but he is an exciting player and it would be great if we could get him."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Topics:
#Norwich City
#Internationals
#Football
#Steve Bruce
#Antoine Sibierski
#Wigan Athletic