Newcastle boss Joe Kinnear has been ordered to "chill out" as he continues his recovery from heart surgery.
Managing director Derek Llambias revealed the 62-year-old has been in touch repeatedly since being discharged from hospital at the weekend after undergoing a triple by-pass.
However, Llambias, who has also confirmed that Kinnear will not be replaced - either permanently or temporarily - as he recuperates from the operation, has told him he must relax and let assistants Chris Hughton and Colin Calderwood take the strain. He said: "The thing with the manager is, we are backing him."
He added: "He's back on board. He's got to make a good recovery and he's got to take it easy. He needs to chill out. Joe was on the phone for about one and a half hours to Chris on Saturday.
"Chris and Colin will talk to him on a regular basis. Unless they cut the phone lines around his house, there's no way he won't communicate.
"He phoned me at 11pm on Saturday night because he needed some information. The next morning he was back on the phone to Chris for two hours. He then rang me again.
"He has to learn that for two or three weeks, he has to calm down and take it easy. He's passionate and he cares - he gets what Newcastle is all about. I hope he grows on everybody. He's an honest fella and he loves the club.
Speculation has been rife since the extent of Kinnear's heart problem emerged that he would be replaced, either by a stop-gap appointment such as Terry Venables, or on a permanent basis by the likes of Wigan's Steve Bruce.
However, having seen Hughton and Calderwood guide the Magpies to a 3-2 win at West Brom just hours after the manager had been admitted to hospital, and then a 0-0 home draw with Everton on Sunday, the regime at St James' Park is confident the team is in good hands.
Llambias said: "Chris has done a good job. He is full of confidence. Colin is in there helping us and Joe is still in the background."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.