Wigan manager Steve Bruce is prepared to throw South Korea midfielder Cho Won-hee straight into the action once the formalities of his transfer have been completed.
The 25-year-old, who is a free agent after his contract expired with Korean club Suwon Bluewings, trained with the club again on Tuesday morning but has to return to his homeland to finalise the deal.
Any potential stumbling block over a work permit - Cho has not played in 75% of internationals in the last two years because of injury problems - looks to have been overcome and it seems only a matter of time before he joins the Latics. "He's had his medical and it looks as though his work permit will be granted," Bruce told the Wigan Observer.
He added: "He trained again on Tuesday but has to go back home now to complete the paperwork.
"We hope he'll be able to come straight in to the squad, and he will be a good addition for us. He's a utility player, but I feel his best position will be in midfield.
"We have a deal in place that lasts until the end of the season, and then a two-year contract ready at the back end of that."
When the deal is completed Cho will be the fifth player to arrive at the JJB Stadium in the last month, with a similar number leaving.
It is probably no coincidence that the Latics' form has suffered slightly since the transfer window first opened and, although they remain seventh in the Barclays Premier League, they have not won in six matches.
Their last three games have all been goalless draws and assistant manager Eric Black accepted it was taking a while for the new recruits to settle in.
"I don't think the team spirit is a problem. Unfortunately there are those that are adjusting to the way we play but what is helpful is that they are desperate to do well for the team," he said.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: http://gms.to/writeforgms