Frank Lampard perfectly summed up yet another special N’Golo Kante performance on Monday night when he described the Frenchman as the world’s best central midfielder.
Not only did Kante dominate against Manchester United’s Ander Herrera and Paul Pogba, but he scored the game’s only goal with a lovely 25-yard drive.
It really is starting to become a question of whether there’s anything he can’t do.
“I’d go as far to say that he’s the best central midfield player in the world on current form, I really would,” Lampard said after Chelsea‘s 1-0 win.
“Looking at the way he’s performing this year, he may not be scoring lots of goals but what he’s giving to the team in the way he’s playing. the driving force that he is.
“I cannot see anyone else out there in world football better than him at the moment.”
No player is bigger than the club but it’s not an exaggeration that, without Kante, Chelsea wouldn’t be where they are right now.
Antonio Conte’s men are top of the Premier League and into the FA Cup semi-finals and it’s largely thanks to the protection Kante offers in front of the back four.
His display against United was a big talking point on social media, with various videos emerging of the 25-year-old bullying Marcus Rashford and ruining Marouane Fellaini with a fantastic turn.
But for all the videos of Kante, nothing summed him up better as a player than Chelsea legend Marcel Desailly’s brilliant tweet (see below).
He tweeted: “🌎 71% of the earth is covered by water. 😅 The remaining 29% is covered by N’Golo Kante @ChelseaFC Hahahahahaha.”
Nailed it. So good was Desailly’s tweet, in fact, that fellow club legend Didier Drogba retweeted the post to his 1.24 million followers.
And if you’re at all confused by the “hahahahahaha” at the end, this hilarious video might go some way to explaining it.
No United player suffered more from Kante’s effect on Monday night than Pogba, who produced some awful statistics during the quater-final clash.
The £89 million man – who lost the ball on eight occasions – recorded a woeful one shot, zero dribbles, zero key passes, one tackle and one foul.
And to think, Kante cost Chelsea over three times less than Pogba cost United. Money well spent.