Manny Pacquiao has just 48 hours to decide whether he will fight Australia's Jeff Horn in Brisbane on July 2, after promoter Bob Arum issued an ultimatum to the reigning WBO world welterweight champion.
Pacquiao has back-tracked and delayed accepting the fight with Horn at the 52,000 capacity Suncorp Stadium after negotiations to fight Britain's Amir Khan in Dubai fell through.
Originally, the two fighters were scheduled to meet in April, but the Pacquaio-Khan talks put the proposed fight on hold.
Pacquiao has not fought since regaining the WBO title by defeating Jesse Vargas on points in Las Vegas last November.
Horn is “extremely frustrated’’ by the drawn-out process, saying: “I just want the fight to happen. I’m training for it but not training super hard yet because Manny still hasn’t signed.
“It’s a waiting game and it’s taking a lot longer than I thought.’’
Arum told the Manila Bulletin that Pacquiao had to accept a fight with Horn by Wednesday, which is Thursday in Manila, otherwise Pacquiao's next fight would be pushed back to November.
Arum told the Manila Bulletin: "They have to make a decision by Wednesday (Thursday in Manila).
Arum also stated that "unless it's a big fight, we are looking at Manny fighting outside the US."
Pacquiao had previously looked set to fight Khan, but boxing fans were left disappointed when a deal to fight the British boxer fell through at the last minute.
Khan still believes that their bout may happen, and he has said: “Pacquiao is the biggest name in boxing, and I’m in the same 147 division, so it makes sense.
“People are saying the money in Dubai isn’t there and that’s why the fight is off.
“But the money is there. My team has seen the proof of that. I think the fight could happen — I really believe there’s still a chance.”
The 38-year-old boasts an incredible professional boxing record of 67 fights, 59 wins, six losses, and two draws.
His most recent loss was also his most notable one, falling to Floyd Mayweather back in May 2015, succumbing him to his sixth career defeat.
The Filipino made his boxing debut way back in 1995, defeating Edmund Enting Ignacio. However, as for his next fight, it still remains unknown.News Now - Sport News