Borussia Dortmund's players could hardly be blamed for not being at their best during Wednesday night's 3-2 defeat to Monaco in the Champions League.
As they travelled to the Stade Louis II on Tuesday - when the fixture was scheduled to be played - three explosive devices were detonated close to the club's bus.
Islamic terrorists were said to be behind the attack, with the three bombs containing metal shrapnel and pins at a blast radius of over 100 yards.
A piece of shrapnel reportedly pierced one of the bus' windows and hit a headrest. Luckily, there were no fatalities, with Marc Bartra the only player to suffer injuries.
The 26-year-old centre-back was taken straight to hospital with a broken wrist and today revealed on Instagram that he was on the mend (see below).
"Hello everybody! As you can see I am doing much better," Bartra wrote. "Thank you everybody for all your support and your messages!
"All my strength to my team mates, supporters and fans and to @bvb09 for tonight's match!"
As we know, Dortmund fell to a 3-2 defeat at the Signal Iduna Park after Kylian Mbappe's brace and an own goal from Sven Bender.
But they still gave themselves a slight chance of progressing into the semi-finals thanks to Ousmane Dembele and Shinji Kagawa, who both struck in the second half.
Thomas Tuchel's side were significantly better in the second 45 minutes following the introductions of Christian Pulisic and Nuri Sahin, with the latter discussing the bomb attack after the game.
In the heartbreaking interview below, Sahin revealed how badly he and his teammates were affected by the horrific incident and explained the moment he will 'never forget' from the bus.
When asked about how lucky they were to all be alive, Sahin said: "I've got goosebumps. When you were in the bus last night, I can't forget the faces.
"I will never forget the faces in my life, for sure. When I saw Marc and I was sat next to Schmelzer, I will never forget Schmelzer's face. It was unbelievable."
It's impossible to truly comprehend how scared Dortmund's players must have been, but judging by Sahin's recollection, they were all absolutely terrified.
The Turkey international said earlier in the interview how the attack was all he could think about until the moment he replaced Bender at half-time.
"I don't know if people can understand this, but until I was on the pitch in the second half, I didn't think about football to be honest," he said.
"Last night I didn't realise what happened. When I was at home, and my wife and son were waiting in front of the door, there I felt how lucky we were."News Now - Sport News