George Groves is confident that he can win a world title belt at the fourth attempt when he meets Fedor Chudinov for the WBA Super-Middleweight title. Russian Chudinov previously fought in England in 2015, outpointing recently-crowned British light-heavyweight champion Frank Buglioni at Wembley Arena.
Groves was beaten in three previous world title fights, losing twice to Carl Froch and then on points to Badou Jack in 2015.
He has won his last four fights after Shane McGuigan became his trainer, and Groves gives McGuigan credit for his improvement.
"The Badou Jack defeat was probably my lowest time, even after losing to Carl Froch. It wasn't as big an event but it was terrible," Groves told Sky Sports.
"I didn't spend too long out of the gym. I knew I needed a change and I took to Shane McGuigan after meeting him.
"I'm improving and I'm in a good place. I've learned from my mistakes and now I'm in the best possible position to win a world title."
Promoter Eddie Hearn told Sky Sports: "We're in talks with George and Kalle (Sauerland, Groves' promoter) regarding adding Groves-Chudinov to the huge Kell Brook-Errol Spence night on May 27.
"We're finalising the paperwork now and hope for a formal announcement over the next few days."
Despite being reluctant to look too far beyond his world title clash with Chudinov, Groves also admits he remains keen on fighting IBF champion James DeGale again in the future. Groves remains the only fighter to have beaten DeGale in the professional ranks.
While Groves is not prepared to look too far beyond his next bout, the 29-year-old admits he remains keen on a bout with IBF champion and former amateur stablemate James DeGale in the future.
"It's the logical fight", Groves said. "If he's still world champion then that fight could take place. It's a fight I'd love to have before I hang up the gloves and I'm sure he would as well."News Now - Sport News