Confusion surrounded Roberto Martinez's expected appointment as Wigan's new manager after an apparent breakdown in communications over the appointment of backroom staff.
Latics chief executive Brenda Spencer appeared before the media alone at a press conference supposedly called to unveil the Swansea boss, to reveal that the formalities over the Spaniard's deal could not be completed until a deal was reached over his support team.
Spencer, who left the conference promising further news soon, said that Wigan had been unable to contact Swans chairman Huw Jenkins since Wednesday night but were hopeful of concluding the deal imminently.
"We have an agreement with Roberto verbally but he cannot sign at the moment to be our manager until Swansea sign the agreement between the two clubs," said Spencer.
She added: "It's absolutely frustrating because at no time over the last week have Swansea ever mentioned anything about backroom staff."
Wigan insist the deal is still on and are ready to continue negotiations over the additional staff.
"We have agreement for Roberto, we just have to see what compensation they want (for the rest). Unfortunately we cannot get hold of their chairman at the moment," Spencer added.
"We just have to get on to Swansea about compensation for backroom staff.
"We hope to get something sorted today or tomorrow (Thursday or Friday) but certainly early next week. At about 11am we did think this was something we could sort out in time but until we get hold of the Swansea chairman there is not much we can do.
"I'd just say to the fans to hold on tight and keep their fingers crossed and their toes crossed and hopefully Roberton will be our manager today or tomorrow."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms