Wigan's plan to unveil Roberto Martinez as their new manager descended into farce on Thursday.
While Martinez sat patiently in the DW Stadium expecting to be presented to the waiting media, a sudden and unexpected hitch developed behind the scenes.
And he effectively remains Swansea's manager after the Coca-Cola Championship club demanded compensation for the backroom staff he wants to take to Wigan.
The dispute centres around his assistant Graeme Jones, chief scout Kevin Reeves, goalkeeping coach Inaki Bergara, physio Richie Evans and fitness coach Oscar Brau.
A Wigan spokesman confirmed: "There is going to be no resolution today as we are still talking to Swansea."
Earlier chief executive Brenda Spencer appeared alone at a press conference to reveal the formalities over the Spaniard's deal could not be completed until a agreement was reached over his support team.
Spencer said they had been unable to contact Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins since last night - when she held further talks with Martinez - but were still hopeful of concluding the deal.
"We have an agreement with Roberto verbally but he cannot sign at the moment to be our manager until Swansea sign the agreement between the two clubs," said Spencer.
"It's absolutely frustrating because at no time over the last week have Swansea ever mentioned anything about backroom staff."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms