Hassell rescues point for Tykes: Match Review

Published Add your comment

Football News

Bobby Hassell struck a deserved equaliser in the 87th minute as Barnsley denied Coca-Cola Championship leaders Newcastle an eighth straight victory in a 2-2 draw.

Kevin Nolan latched onto Andy Carroll's knock-on to put the Magpies ahead in the sixth minute, but the Tykes responded after the break with Emil Hallfredsson equalising from close range in the 52nd minute.

Substitute Marlon Harewood's strike looked to have handed the visitors all three points in the 78th minute but Hassell's header ensured Barnsley's unbeaten run stretched to six matches.

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton brought back Carroll, who was dropped against Coventry following his arrest over an allegation of assault, while top scorer Nolan was recalled after serving a one-match ban.

Captain Stephen Foster failed to recover from an eye injury in time and Darren Moore took his place at the heart of the Tykes' defence, with Hallfredsson, Hassell and Andy Gray winning recalls to the starting line-up.

Carroll had an early chance to make an impact as he headed just over the bar from Ryan Taylor's cross, with the Magpies roared on by around 7,000 travelling supporters.

It did not take long for the league leaders to make the breakthrough, and Carroll was involved again.

The England Under-21 striker nodded on Taylor's pass and Nolan calmly tucked it past the onrushing Luke Steele in the sixth minute for his 10th goal of the campaign.

Barnsley were far from overawed in an end-to-end opening period, but Newcastle almost doubled the lead after a swift break where Taylor's cross was met by Jonas Gutierrez, who directed his header straight at Steele.

The hosts caused their own problems in the 26th minute when goalkeeper Steele was penalised for carrying the ball outside his area wide on the right, and the resulting free-kick fell to Nicky Butt to launch a fierce effort which was deflected over.

Taylor hit a swerving strike from 25 yards which only just missed the target as neither side was able to add another goal before the interval.

Barnsley boss Mark Robins sent his side out with renewed energy after the interval and they had three corners in quick succession, before Nathan Doyle hit a powerful shot wide of the goal.

Hallfredsson got the equaliser the Yorkshire side's pressure deserved when Anderson de Silva's deflected cross came to him in the six-yard box and he fired in off the bar.

Ryan Shotton and Gray both went close for the hosts before Harewood's shot looped into the net from Carroll's pass to put the visitors back in front.

But the home side kept on pressing and a cross from substitute Adam Hammill was headed in by Hassell.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Stephen Foster
Nathan Doyle
Ryan Taylor
Kevin Nolan
Luke Steele
Darren Moore
Marlon Harewood
Ryan Shotton
Bobby Hassell
Jonas Gutierrez
Nicky Butt
Andy Gray
Ryan Taylor
Stephen Foster
Adam Hammill

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again