Stead takes advantage of Town reprieve: Match Review

Published Add your comment

Football News

Two goals from Jon Stead inspired Ipswich to a comfortable 3-0 victory over QPR and their fourth win of the Coca-Cola Championship season.

Stead was only playing because Town appealed the red card he received at Crystal Palace on Boxing Day and he made the most of his afternoon with two second-half strikes.

The first was a superbly taken effort from the edge of the area just after the hour and he doubled his tally 15 minutes later with a simple tap-in.

Town were already ahead by the time Stead netted as they needed just four minutes to go in front after Jonathan Walters finished following a good solo run.

It was a poor showing from Rangers, who tasted defeat under Paul Hart for the first time, although they wasted two good chances to level in the first half, Adel Taraabt the guilty party as he missed the target on both occasions.

The much-needed win means Roy Keane's men end a poor year on a high, with just their third home win of the season, while QPR head into the new year hoping to put a turbulent 2009 behind them.

Ipswich got off to the perfect start when they took the lead inside the opening four minutes.

Stern John fed Walters and he ran towards goal, beat his full-back and fired past Radek Cerny into the bottom corner to notch his sixth goal of the season

Keane's men continued their early dominance and had three golden opportunities to extend their lead.

First Gareth McAuley headed over from a corner when unmarked, before Walters wasted a fine chance as he dawdled and after a scramble the ball hit the post and was cleared.

And from the resulting corner Damien Delaney headed over when he should have at least tested Cerny.

Having found themselves lucky not to be 3-0 down, QPR finally began to stir and fashioned out two fine chances to equalise, with both falling to Taraabt.

The midfielder put the ball just wide of the post with a glancing header from a good position and 90 seconds later he fired over from close range.

QPR were keen to get back into the game and controlled the opening period of the second half. However, they were unable to produce anything telling in the final third and Ipswich keeper Arran Lee-Barrett was not tested.

And then Ipswich stuck the knife in when they doubled their lead just after the hour and it was a fine finish by Stead.

Owen Garvan fed the ball into the striker's feet and he managed to turn his defender with ease before slamming home from the edge of the area.

Ipswich then made sure of the three points when Stead got his sixth of the season by tapping the ball home after good work from Walters with 12 minutes remaining.

And the former England Under-21 striker really should have bagged a hat-trick but he wasted two good opportunities late on in the game.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Arran Lee-Barrett
Ipswich Town
Radek Cerny
Stern John
Damien Delaney
Roy Keane
Owen Garvan
Queens Park Rangers
Gareth McAuley
Jonathan Walters
Crystal Palace

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again