Carlos Takam once confronted Anthony Joshua after the IBF and WBA heavyweight champion defeated Dominic Breazeale in June last year.
That's according to the 28-year-old from Watford - who is set to face Takam in 10 days time in front of 78,000 fans at Cardiff's Principality Stadium.
Joshua reveals how Takam once followed him back to his hotel and called him out to fight over a year before the pair were due to meet in the ring.
“It was after the Breazeale fight. He came to the fight, then waited for me in reception. I knew who he was.
“After I fought at the O2, Takam waited at my hotel and said to me, ‘I want to fight you!’,” said Joshua. “I said, ‘I’ve already had a fight’."
Joshua prepares to face up to the 36-year-old French-Cameroonian on Saturday October 28, and is certainly not underestimating the veteran boxer who has 35 wins to his name, 28 of those being by knockout, and three defeats.
“He’s a big unit – 22 stone. That shows these fighters are now watching me, so Takam will know my strengths and weaknesses.”
Despite Takam calling Joshua out to fight in 2016, it was Kubrat Pulev who was due to face the 28-year-old heavyweight.
But, the Bulgarian recently pulled out due to a shoulder injury 12 days prior to the bout in Cardiff.
As IBF rules state, the stalking Takam was next in line to fight Joshua, being that he is third in the world rankings.
Despite the demotion of one ranking position for Joshua's opponent, the heavyweight champion is fully aware of the threat Takam poses as he aims to protect his perfect professional record of 19 wins and 19 knockouts so far.
Joshua has admitted that his opponent has the ability to tarnish his record and that a change in opponent at such short notice means he is feeling extra pressure ahead of the fight.
Takam has had an unbeaten 2017, with wins against Pole Marcin Rekowski and Croat Ivika Bacurin in June and January respectively, but did lose last year against Joseph Parker of New Zealand.
“Takam has fought some good people, but maybe because he’s not so active on social media, the public may not know much about him.
“But he’s definitely a credible opponent and we can’t take our eye off the prize.
The fight for the IBO, IBF, and WBA titles will take place on Saturday October 28 at the Principality Stadium Cardiff.