Bluebirds run riot against Robins: Match Review

Published Add your comment

Football News

Three goals in five first-half minutes set the tone as Cardiff ran riot to crush Bristol City 6-0 and move up to fourth in the Coca-Cola Championship.

Michael Chopra and Ross McCormack both scored twice, Peter Whittingham netted his 15th goal of the season and Liam Fontaine put through his own net as in-form Cardiff made it seven games unbeaten with a stunning display which left the Robins red-faced.

It was the third time the teams had faced each other this month, with a 1-1 FA Cup draw at Ashton Gate resulting in a replay and a 1-0 success for Cardiff.

Bristol City started brightly, with debutants Jamal Campbell-Ryce and Patrick Agyemang looking lively.

The latter linked up well with strike partner Nicky Maynard in the seventh minute but he flashed a 12-yard shot wide of the left-hand upright.

Cardiff's response came from Whittingham but his shot from the edge of the box cleared the crossbar.

The midfielder was not to be denied, though, and he broke the deadlock shortly afterwards. Joe Ledley's dinked pass sent Chopra clear, and although Dean Gerken pulled off a superb save, the ball fell for Whittingham to stroke home.

The Bluebirds doubled their advantage in the 23rd minute when Adam Matthews' long punt upfield found Gavin Rae, whose scuffed shot beat Gerken and allowed McCormack to tap into an empty net.

And they made it three 60 seconds later when Ledley played the ball to Chopra on the corner of the 18-yard box and he drilled a low shot past the keeper.

The Robins ensured they went in at half-time to a crescendo of boos by conceding a fourth goal in the 43rd minute, Chopra whipping in a low cross which Fontaine slammed into his own net.

Gary Johnson's nightmare evening continued less than a minute after the restart as Cardiff grabbed their fifth. Mark Kennedy slipped the ball through for Jay Bothroyd and his touch sent Chopra clear to score with ease.

It got even more embarrassing for the home side as the goals kept coming. Whittingham, who had earned the corner with a fizzing drive that was turned around the post, played the ball short to McCormack, and he was afforded too much time as he slammed the ball home from distance.

That left 33 minutes for City to avoid further humiliation, and they finally threatened in the 68th minute when Campbell-Ryce fired straight at David Marshall from six yards.

Gabor Gyepes blocked a header from Louis Carey and Cole Skuse fired the loose ball wide, Marvin Elliott tested Marshall with an 18-yard drive and Maynard had the keeper scrambling to keep out a 25-yard effort but City could not find a consolation.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Gabor Gyepes
Bristol City
Peter Whittingham
Jamal Campbell-Ryce
Ross McCormack
Louis Carey
Cole Skuse
Cardiff City
Marvin Elliott
Liam Fontaine
David Marshall
Adam Matthews
Michael Chopra
Joe Ledley
Nicky Maynard
Gavin Rae
Patrick Agyemang
Mark Kennedy
Dean Gerken
FA Cup
Jay Bothroyd

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again