One UFC champion is in some hot water.
UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is set to defend his title against former UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre in the main event of UFC 217.
UFC 217 is set to take place on Saturday, November 4th in New York at Madison Square Garden.
The main card will air on pay-per-view at 10 p.m. ET while the preliminary card will air on FOX Sports 1 at 8 p.m. ET and the promotion’s streaming service, UFC Fight Pass, at 6:30 p.m. ET.
The UFC middleweight champion is facing a lawsuit after he allegedly choked a man in July. The suit was filed by Antonio Georgakopoulos, who claimed he was choked by the UFC champion when they ran into each other at a 24-Hour Fitness gym in Anaheim. It was noted that Bisping went crazy on Georgakopoulos for "taking his weights" without asking during a workout.
Antonio is claiming that Bisping called him various names including a "little punk" and an "idiot" -- and then dropped the "you don't know who I am?" line. Once the verbal tirade, Bisping grabbed him by the throat and began to squeeze thus cutting off his oxygen.
He was about to lose consciousness but another weight lifter intervened and broke it up. This led to Bisping screaming, "Let's take this outside." According to the report, the Anaheim Police Department responded to the incident.
Bisping was not arrested as a result of the incident but rather complied with the investigation. It should be noted that although no criminal charges were filed, the alleged victim is still pursuing a civil case.
Georgakopoulos is filing a lawsuit for assault, battery, and intentional infliction of emotional distress, among others.
Anaheim Police Department public information officer Sgt. Daron Wyatt told MMA Fighting that the investigation was submitted to the City Attorney’s Office and “it was determined there was insufficient evidence to file a criminal case,” Wyatt said.
According to Bisping, he believes that the lawsuit was filed this week for a reason and that is due to his upcoming title defense.
“I haven’t even been served with papers,” the UFC middleweight champion said. “They’re suing the UFC, they’re suing 24-Hour Fitness, they’re suing William Morris Endeavor, they’re suing Michael Bisping. So good luck with that. It’s completely nonfactual. From what I’ve read about it so far, there’s many, many contradictions. Obviously, it’s a lawsuit, so I don’t want to say too much, but I can just say I’m not losing too much sleep and it’s not correct.”
“You tell me,” Bisping said. “It happened months ago. It seems very, very tactical. ‘Oh, let’s bring it out a week before the biggest fight of his life.’ Bring some attention to it, perhaps. Look for a settlement. I’m already saying too much. Good job.”