Burke leads Bluebirds home: Match Review

Published Add your comment

Football News

Chris Burke netted his seventh goal of the season as Cardiff bounced back to winning ways with a 2-0 home triumph over Peterborough.

The Bluebirds were on the wrong end of a 5-1 hammering at Newcastle on Friday, but Dave Jones' fourth-placed side put their promotion campaign back on track thanks to Burke and a second-half goal from Anthony Gerrard.

The defeat means Jim Gannon's side are still without an away win this season.

When the two sides met at the end of December, Cardiff threw away a four-goal lead and were forced to settle for a 4-4 draw at London Road but there was to be no repeat of those heroics.

Stephen McPhail, who captained the side in only his second game back since recovering from cancer treatment, ensured their was no repeat this time around.

Cardiff, captained by Stephen McPhail in his second game back since recovering from treatment for cancer, starting positively with forward duo Michael Chopra and Jay Bothroyd causing the visitors problems in the early stages.

Former Newcastle striker Chopra headed the ball down for Bothroyd, but his strike partner hit a left-footed shot against a post. The pair linked up well again soon after but Chopra fired his effort wide of the right-hand post.

Cardiff came even closer to breaking the deadlock after 16 minutes but Joe Lewis produced a fine save to tip Peter Whittingham's free-kick over the bar for a corner.

But the Bluebirds were dealt a blow just five minutes later when Darcy Blake was forced off with an injury to be replaced by youngster Aaron Wildig, who had scored their only goal at Newcastle.

Peterborough would have been disappointed not to open the scoring when George Boyd headed wide from Ryan Bennett's cross.

And that miss proved costly as Jones' men broke the deadlock after half an hour. Whittingham's cross found Bothroyd, who headed the ball down for Burke to fire home from six yards.

The midfielder should have doubled his tally soon after but he was unable to keep his header down as it sailed over the bar.

Cardiff continued to dominate in the first half but failed to convert another chance when Whittingham shot wide of the right post.

Peterborough tried to find a way back into the game in the second half as Aaron Mclean hit a weak shot over the bar, before Posh had to rely on their goalkeeper to keep them in the game.

Whittingham's right-footed effort was well parried by Lewis before Burke drilled the rebound wide of the left-hand post.

But Cardiff were not to be denied a second goal as Whittingham floated in a free-kick which was flicked on by Bothroyd, who later went off with an injury, for Gerrard to poke beyond Lewis 12 minutes from time.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Peterborough United
Chris Burke
Peter Whittingham
Aaron Wildig
Cardiff City
Aaron Mclean
Darcy Blake
Michael Chopra
Stephen McPhail
George Boyd
Anthony Gerrard
Joe Lewis
Ryan Bennett
Jay Bothroyd

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again