Boxing

Anthony Joshua finally responds after being called out by Tyson Fury on Twitter

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Anthony Joshua has finally broken his silence after being called out by both Deontay Wilder and Tyson Fury.

The 28-year-old, who defeated Carlos Takam last month to record the 20th victory of his professional career, hasn’t fired back on social media - that wouldn’t be his style.

Instead, Joshua has issued a calm and measured response to both fighters in an 18-minute interview with iFL TV.

For those who missed it, Fury posted a series of tweets last week in which he boasted he could beat Joshua - and Wilder - despite the fact he’s been out of action for two years and now weighs ’25 stone’.

“My fight with @anthonyfjoshua will be won with my feet!” Fury continued. “Can't hit what you can't see! The best footwork in the game.”

In a separate tweet, he added: “I’m gonna stop you @anthonyfjoshua inside 8 rounds watch me go.”

Fury, who appears desperate to provoke Joshua into giving a response, then took another dig at his compatriot on Tuesday when he tweeted: “@anthonyfjoshua works for me! No it's true I employed a while ago as a belt carrier, pay him to hold & polish my belts. He dose a good job👏“

Still no response from Joshua, who *has* been active on social media but just hasn’t stooped to Fury’s level.

Joshua finally gives his reaction to Fury's call-out

However, AJ was questioned about Fury by iFL TV’s Kugan Cassius, who asked the undefeated heavyweight where the Manchester-born fighter fits into his plans.

“One side of me says he’s not relevant because he’s not fighting,” Joshua responded. “With all due respect, I can only speak about fighters who are active.”

He continued: “But on the other side, I need Tyson Fury. I want him, so I can compete with him. I wanna challenge Tyson Fury.

“I can’t speak about someone who’s not active. When he’s back, I’ll be able to say ‘yeah, I’ve been watching the way he’s training’ but I can’t even talk about that right now.

“The other side of me - and I’ve said good things - [I think] you know what, I want him back so I can challenge Tyson Fury and we can get this showdown happening.”

On the jibes on social media, Joshua added: “At the moment, it’s just talk. I’m not into the business of talking. All these guys doing their negotiations over social media, I’m not into that.

“When he’s back, when he’s ready, we’ll sit down and get the ball rolling.

“Until then, it’s not relevant to me.”

Further proof that Joshua is a man with a very mature head on young shoulders.

He’s handled the situation perfectly there.

Video: Joshua's comments on Fury

Skip to 15:30 in the video to watch Joshua’s comments on Fury…

Fury sends another tweet to Joshua

And a couple of hours after the video was uploaded to YouTube, Fury sent another tweet in Joshua’s direction, urging him not to fight Wilder first.

“@anthonyfjoshua should not fight @BronzeBomber before he fights me, as if he loses our colossal fight will become minor,” Fury posted this afternoon. “Wilder must wait.👍🏻“

Topics:
Muhammad Ali
Boxing
Floyd Mayweather
David Haye
Manny Pacquiao

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again