Boro made to pay penalty: Match Review

Published Add your comment

Football News

Blackpool kick-started their play-off push in the Coca-Cola Championship with a 2-0 win as Middlesbrough striker Scott McDonald was made to pay for missing a late penalty at Bloomfield Road.

Brett Ormerod scored the opener on the half-hour when he converted Gary Taylor-Fletcher`s cross from close range for his seventh goal of the season.

Blackpool were reduced to 10 men in the 61st minute when Rob Edwards saw red for a professional foul on McDonald.

The Australian had a great chance to level with seven minutes remaining but his penalty was saved by Matthew Gilks and Blackpool rubbed salt into their wounds with a second in injury time through DJ Campbell.

It brought to an end Boro`s six-game unbeaten run while victory for Blackpool snapped a five-game winless streak and moved them to within three points of the top six.

Blackpool, on the back of one win in seven games, came flying out of the traps and Charlie Adam, back after suspension fired a shot wide from 25 yards inside three minutes.

Taylor-Fletcher then forced Boro goalkeeper Danny Coyne into a save to keep out his 20-yard effort before the visitors threatened.

McDonald, still looking for his first goal since joining from Celtic, was causing problems in the Blackpool rearguard.

First he volleyed wide from 25 yards before seeing his second chance well blocked by Ian Evatt.

Back came Blackpool with Adam and Campbell failing to find the target - but the deadlock was broken shortly afterwards with Ormerod in the right place to slot the ball home.

Boro nearly produced an immediate response with French striker Jeremie Aliadiere twice being denied by goalkeeper Matthew Gilks in as many minutes.

Blackpool finished the first half on top and Edwards came close to doubling their lead in the 43rd minute but Coyne produced a fine save to tip his effort round the post.

He then had to be alert to keep out Ormerod`s shot from 12 yards on the stroke of half-time.

Adam was fortunate to escape with a yellow card after bringing down Aliadiere but Boro could not capitalise from the resulting free-kick as Gary O`Neil lifted his shot over the bar.

But Blackpool were not as lucky just after the hour mark when Edwards was dismissed for hauling down McDonald with O`Neil again failing to test Gilks from the free-kick.

Aliadiere came close to an equaliser three minutes later but Gilks was equal to the task, as he was moments later when the French striker fired in a shot from 12 yards.

McDonald wasted a glorious opportunity to level from the spot and Lee Miller had two chances to level before Blackpool broke and Campbell ensured victory in injury time.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Charlie Adam
Rob Edwards
Gary Taylor-Fletcher
Matthew Gilks
Rob Edwards
Scott McDonald
Jeremie Aliadiere
Danny Coyne
Brett Ormerod
DJ Campbell
Ian Evatt

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again