Barry rescues point for City: Match Review

Published Add your comment

Football News

Gareth Barry struck a late equaliser as Manchester City claimed a controversial 1-1 draw at 10-man Stoke to move fourth in the Barclays Premier League.

Barry cancelled out a fine Glenn Whelan strike five minutes from time at the Britannia Stadium but Stoke thought they had won it in injury time when Ryan Shawcross headed in a Rory Delap throw-in.

But Roberto Mancini's men, who should have taken control after Abdoulaye Faye was sent off after 52 minutes, were reprieved as referee Alan Wiley spotted a foul on Shay Given.

It was a fortunate decision for City, who had struggled to deal with Stoke's unashamedly direct and physical approach throughout the second of three meetings between the sides in quick succession.

The same two teams, having drawn in the FA Cup fifth round last weekend, face each other again in the replay next week.

Before then City face Liverpool, one of their chief rivals for that fourth place, and it was perhaps with that game in mind that Mancini rang the changes.

The Italian, already without Craig Bellamy and Carlos Tevez, further demonstrated the depth of his squad by leaving Wayne Bridge, Pablo Zabaleta, Stephen Ireland, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Martin Petrov on the bench.

Micah Richards, Javier Garrido, Patrick Vieira, Roque Santa Cruz and Johnson were the men to come in.

Stoke were robbed of the influential Matthew Etherington and the return of Faye after a back injury proved less than successful.

But the Potters made life uncomfortable for their visitors from the onset.

Having equalised on Saturday from a trademark Delap throw-in, they utilised that same tactic four times inside the opening 10 minutes.

Twice Delap found Shawcross but the defender headed over and then had an effort cleared by Richards.

The third Delap throw was dealt with by Joleon Lescott and the returning Dean Whitehead shot over from the fourth.

City were also careless in conceding set-pieces around the box early on and one Liam Lawrence free-kick found its way through several pairs of legs only for Mamady Sidibe to shoot tamely at Given.

Another Whelan delivery was cleared only as far as Whelan but the midfielder shot well over.

The visitors created only one half-chance for Santa Cruz early on but Danny Higginbotham blocked the former Blackburn man's shot.

Mancini was angered when Ricardo Fuller was not booked for a foul on Lescott in front of the bench but his pleas for a card fell on deaf ears.

Stoke had a great chance on 20 minutes when Faye met a Lawrence corner with a powerful header but Lescott headed away.

City struggled to create clear cut opportunities

After 25 minutes of soaking up pressure, City finally created a clear-cut opportunity when a Richards cross was flicked on by Santa Cruz but Barry sliced horribly wide.

Stoke's next chance predictably came from a Delap throw with this time Robert Huth heading across goal.

City won a free-kick of their own when Emmanuel Adebayor was fouled outside the area but Santa Cruz volleyed wide from Johnson's delicate cross.

City went down the direct route themselves after the break and Adebayor caught the Stoke defence napping on 52 minutes as he raced onto a long ball from Given.

The Togo striker clearly had the beating of Faye and would have been clear on goal had the defender not dragged him down by the shirt 35 yards out.

Wiley consulted with his assistant before deciding on Faye's punishment but it came as no surprise when he brandished a straight red card.

City began to dominate possession but it was some time before their next opportunity, which fell to Adebayor after an attempted clearance by substitute Danny Collins, but he shot over.

Fuller then appealed for a penalty after claiming to be blocked by Barry, but Wiley played on.

The Potters snatched the lead after 72 minutes following a break by Delap down the left.

The Irishman's cross was missed in front of goal by Fuller but Johnson sliced his attempted clearance into the path of the onrushing Whelan.

Given may feel he could have done better but Whelan's powerful 20-yard strike bounced just in front of him on its way into the bottom corner.

City at last roused themselves and hauled themselves level five minutes from time after a punt into the box was headed on by Adebayor.

Barry raced behind him to hook a shot onto the post but then reacted quickly to tuck home the rebound.

That was not the end of the action and Stoke thought they had won it when Given missed a Delap throw but Shawcross' header was disallowed for a foul on the keeper.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Stoke City
Manchester City
Gareth Barry
Premier League

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again