In-form Foxes held by Plymouth: Match Review

Published Add your comment

Football News

Leicester's fine run extended to six games unbeaten following a 1-1 draw with Plymouth in the Coca-Cola Championship at Home Park.

The visitors opened the scoring after 31 minutes after a mix-up at the back saw Plymouth's Kari Arnason poke the ball past his own goalkeeper and into the back of the net.

The lead did not last long though and the hosts were back on level terms with seven minutes of the half remaining when Craig Noone headed in from close range.

The Foxes dominated then the chances with Bruno Berner, Martyn Waghorn and Paul Gallagher all going close but failing to convert.

Leicester started encouragingly and created the first chance after three minutes when Gallagher's good low cross almost found Lloyd Dyer but Plymouth goalkeeper David Stockdale got down well to claim the ball.

The visitors' Matt Oakley almost threaded an inch-perfect through ball to defender Michael Morrison, who found himself in an attacking position, but Noone threw himself into a well timed sliding tackle to prevent the Foxes attack.

Reda Johnson had a chance for Argyle when but he lashed the ball wide of the upright after some good build-up play on the edge of the area.

Dyer thought he had put the visitors ahead on the half hour mark when he beat two men on the edge on the area before seeing his shot rebound wide of the upright and evade the waiting Waghorn in the six yard box.

Leicester took the lead just moments later when a long ball over the top looked to have beaten Waghorn's chase but Pilgrims defender Arnason failed to spot Stockdale coming off his line and diverted the ball past him and into the net for a calamitous own goal.

The lead lasted just seven minutes as the home side restored parity when Chris Clark delivered a deep cross and Noone arrived at the back post to head the ball past the helpless Chris Weale.

The first chance of the second period fell to Gallagher but his close-range effort was well blocked by Chris Barker as the second half started similarly to the first with the Foxes on top.

Waghorn was causing the defence all sorts of problems and from a difficult angle shot across the face of the goal only to see his shot drift inches wide as the Foxes looked to turn their possession into goals.

Richie Wellens almost engineered a chance after an excellent touch earnt him some space in the area but Damien Johnson lunged in to clear the ball before he had time to shoot.

The visitors continued to press forward and Berner should have given them the lead but he headed Gallagher's cross wide of the upright from a yard out.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Leicester City
Kari Arnason
Lloyd Dyer
David Stockdale
Paul Gallagher
Bruno Berner
Reda Johnson
Martyn Waghorn
Matt Oakley
Michael Morrison
Chris Barker
Craig Noone
Damien Johnson
Plymouth Argyle
Chris Weale
Chris Clark

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again