Football

Rio Ferdinand.

Rio Ferdinand picks his Fifa 18 Team of the Year but some fans aren't happy with his choice

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

We've reached a special time of year for Fifa 18 fans. 

Every January, EA Sports release their Team of the Year cards in Ultimate Team, giving gamers the chance to pick up upgraded versions of the best players from around the world. 

Normally, the squad is picked and announced by the game's developers alone, but this year it has been slightly different. 

EA has offered a selection of people from the Fifa community and the media, as well as actual athletes, the chance to cast a vote for Team of the Year. 

Their picks will make up 60% of the overall vote, with EA casting the remaining 40%, making it a very exciting time to be playing Fifa.  

Big names on the gaming scene, including YouTubers Castro and Spencer FC, and even Hull City's David Meyler, have all made their picks for the team, which EA are expected to start announcing on Monday.  

And another man who's had his chance to cast a vote is Manchester United legend Rio Ferdinand. The former defender is a well-known fan of the game, so it's no surprise he has a chance to influence the team. 

With the vote closing last Friday, Ferdinand left it late, posting a video of his picks across social media ahead of this weekend. 

RIO'S TEAM 

Unsurprisingly, the ex-United man started off his team by picking David de Gea in goal. He then named a back line of Marcelo, Cesar Azpilicueta, Sergio Ramos and Dani Alves. 

He chose Toni Kroos as his defensive midfielder, playing Kevin De Bruyne and Luka Modric in more advanced midfield positions. 

His front three are frightening to say the least, with Ferdinand picking a dream force of Cristiano Ronaldo, Harry Kane and Lionel Messi to lead the line. 

Check out his full reveal video below.

Although his team is pretty spot on, a lot of fans have criticised his decision to leave out the likes of Neymar and N'Golo Kante, and some really aren't happy with him for picking United goalkeeper De Gea over Gianluigi Buffon. 

Still, there are plenty who agree with Ferdinand's Team of the Year. And with the community making up 60% of the final vote, fans have a good chance of seeing their favorite player pop up in in the squad next week. 

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms

Topics:
Rio Ferdinand
Premier League
Real Madrid
Barcelona
Chelsea
Football
Cristiano Ronaldo
Lionel Messi

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again