Marcus Williams breaks his silence after mistake that cost New Orleans last Sunday

Divisional Round - New Orleans Saints v Minnesota Vikings

Last Sunday's playoff game between the Minnesota Vikings and the New Orleans Saints will live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it.

At halftime, the Vikings looked on course for a comfortable victory. They went into the break 17-0 up, becoming the first team to shut out the Saints in a first half since 2014. 

But no memorable football game has ever been comfortable. And in the second half, New Orleans came out firing, threatening one of the greatest comebacks in recent history. 

With three consecutive plays, the Saints threw a touchdown, caught an interception and threw another TD, bringing the score to 17-14 early in the fourth.

And after dominating the first half, Minnesota's offense, led by quarterback Case Keenum, couldn't get the chains moving in the second. 

The hosts could only manage a field goal before Drew Brees threw into the end zone once again, this time to Alvin Kamara, making the score 21-20. 

With the Saints leading for the first time in the game with three minutes left, warning bells were ringing for the Vikings. 

But in response, they could only score another field goal to take the game to 23-21, before the visitors kicked one of their own, meaning the Saints led 24-23 with 25 seconds left. 


It looked as if the Vikings had blown another golden opportunity to reach the NFC conference championship, tasked with getting into field goal range from their own 25 with seconds remaining.

To make things worse, a false start penalty meant they needed to start from their own 20. On first and 15, Keenum found Stefon Diggs for 19 yards, taking them to their own 39. 

The Vikings then blew two downs with incomplete passes, but with 10 seconds remaining, that's when the "Minnesota Miracle" happened.  

Divisional Round - New Orleans Saints v Minnesota Vikings

On third down, Keenum threw deep to the sideline, looking for Diggs once again. The wide receiver caught the ball, but all the Saints needed to do was stop him, in or out of bounds and the game was over. 

But rookie safety Marcus Williams missed his tackle, colliding with a teammate in the process, giving Diggs an open field to run home for a 61-yard touchdown. 

As the clock hit zero, U.S. Bank Stadium erupted, as the Vikings beat the Saints 29-24 on the final play of the game. 

Divisional Round - New Orleans Saints v Minnesota Vikings

Both Diggs and Keenum were speechless following the game, struggling to sum up what had happened amongst the wild celebrations. 

But spare a thought for Williams, whose mistake cost his team the game and a shot at the conference championship. 

The rookie may never forget what happened on Sunday and he'd be forgiven for going into hiding for the next seven months. 

Divisional Round - New Orleans Saints v Minnesota Vikings

But just one day after the loss, he's broken his silence on Twitter, posting a defiant message to the world. It read:

"I appreciate my friends, real fans, family, and team for everything they have done for me this season all of the support is highly appreciated! No the season didn’t end as planned but one thing for sure I won’t let one play define the type of MAN or PLAYER that I am or will be!" 

His message shows true maturity from a player coming off his rookie year.

And judging by his attitude, Williams could have a long and successful career ahead of him, that will hopefully go some way to helping him forget "that" play. 

News Now - Sport News