Boxing

Luis Ortiz: Focus solely on Wilder.

Luis Ortiz discloses details of verbal exchange with Deontay Wilder in ringside confrontation

Published Add your comment

Football News
24/7

Cuban professional boxer Luis Ortiz made a sensational comeback to the ring with a win over Daniel Martz two months ago, after serving a one-year suspension handed out by the WBA for a failed doping test.

In his line of sight, the next challenger is WBC heavyweight champion Deontay Wilder, a clash the boxing faithful have been waiting to come to fruition for a long time.

The duo do not share a good camaraderie, with Wilder raring to step inside in the opposition corner of Ortiz for quite sometime, which got delayed due to the doping case of the Cuban.

The Barclays Centre in Brooklyn will witness two giants of the sport squaring up against each other on March 3, which would mark the climax of the rivalry after months of trash talk and public call-outs.

The war of words between the two has been going on for some time now, which further intensified during the aftermath of Wilder’s contest with Bermane Stiverne as Ortiz approached Wilder right away.

The 38-year-old has revealed for the first time what exactly he told the American counterpart during the heated confrontation.

According to Boxing News and Views, Ortiz said: “Someone told me Wilder was in the crowd, I smiled. I was glad to see him. I knew what he wanted.

“I’m not the kind that likes to trash talk, but I’ve had it with this guy. He talks too much. He has a big mouth. He has insulted me and has said too many dumb things.

“So when I saw him ringside I told him to get inside the ring and to tell the world once and for all that he was going to fight me. He says he wants to fight the top fighters. I’m a top fighter. Let’s do it.”

Last year in December 2017, it was Wilder who was present at ringside at the Ortiz v Martz bout, where the Cuban star publicly called out the WBC champion and Wilder stepped inside the ring and stated: “I guarantee you, you’ll have the fight.”

Negotiations were completed within days and the official announcement was made at the turn of new year.

With both boxers still undefeated in their pro careers, experts as well as the boxing faithful are finding it tough to call the fight.

Nonetheless, the showdown in a fortnight’s time will be an enticing contest to say the least.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms

Topics:
Boxing

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author

DISCLAIMER

This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again