An emotional Paul Hart revealed he will start looking for work again next week after ending his short-term contract at Crystal Palace by keeping them in the Coca-Cola Championship.
Hart, in charge at Portsmouth and then QPR earlier in a helter-skelter season, was drafted in by Palace's administrators in January with a brief to ensure the Londoners, a reported £30million in debt, stayed up.
He succeeded thanks to a nerve-shredding 2-2 draw in a last-day relegation decider at Sheffield Wednesday and revealed "it would be no hardship" to carry on.
"Great relief on our part, but there's sadness on their part because Alan Irvine's a friend and I played here as well and I've been relegated and it's not very nice," said Hart.
"I often listen to people say they were left emotionally drained and I know what they mean now."
Wealthy Palace fans group CPFC 2010 remain in pole position to take over both the club and Selhurst Park, which is separately owned, and talks with the administrators will continue next week.
Hart added: "We're hoping the new ownership gets completed and now they can build from a sounder base of Championship football, which I think is important.
"It's such a great club that I would fully expect, with the correct business practices put in place that the right visionary people, if handled properly, could make great progress.
"I've said all along, let's get the takeover done then the new owners can make a decision (on the next manager).
"It would be absolutely no hardship whatsoever to work at this football club, it's been a fantastic experience, but they should be allowed to make their own appointments."
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms