Jamie Carragher is currently in hot water after a shocking spitting incident which has seen him make the front page of several British tabloid newspapers this morning.
You’ve probably all seen the footage by now.
Carragher is filmed spitting at a Manchester United fan, whose 14-year-old daughter was in the same car, as he drove home after Liverpool’s 2-1 defeat at Old Trafford on Saturday afternoon.
The Liverpool legend had been on punditry duty for Sky Sports when he was spotted by the United fan and goaded over the full-time result.
But his uncharacteristic reaction has understandably been condemned as disgusting and totally out of order.
Video: The incident
You can watch the shocking footage here…
Carragher tweeted after the story was published
Shortly after the Mirror published the story on Sunday evening, Carragher tweeted: “Totally out of order & Ive apologised personally to all the family this evening. I was goaded 3/4 times along the motorway while being filmed & lost my rag. No excuse apologies.”
Vinnie Jones says what needed to be said
However, footballer-turned-movie star Vinnie Jones isn’t buying Carragher’s excuses, labelling his actions ‘cowardly’ during an interview with talkSPORT this morning.
"It is cowardly," the former Wimbledon and Chelsea midfielder said. "How has the lad driving it not driven after Jamie, rammed him, dragged him out of the car and beat seven... you know what I mean.
"If someone spat at my daughter sitting in the car, I would have been after them."
"There is no sitting on the fence here, Jamie is down the road - down the Job Centre tomorrow.
"Spitting at 14-year-olds through a window? He is presenting on the TV. For Christ's sake, he is supposed to be one of the top men.
"You can't condone that whatsoever. It is filth, it is absolute filth."
It’s impossible to argue with any of that.
Carragher is just fortunate that the bloke and girl he spat at wasn’t someone with a fuse as short as Jones’s.
Listen: Vinnie Jones' rant
Listen to Jones' rant in full here...
Carragher set to be removed from MNF tonight
"I'll speak to the family again,” Carragher told reporters this morning. “I’m sorry. I'll apologise again today properly."
"I didn't, to be honest, she was leant back. I wish she wasn't involved. I hate that she was involved more than anything."
Carragher is expected to be removed from Sky Sports’ Monday Night Football this evening ahead of a planned two-week break.
He will no longer be providing analysis for Danish channel TV3 Sport for Tuesday night's Champions League clash between Manchester United and Sevilla at Old Trafford.
He is unlikely to lose his job.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms