Jamie Carragher will be off our television screens until August after he was suspended by Sky Sports until the end of the season following the spitting incident which has left his career as a pundit in jeopardy.
The Liverpool legend, who was filmed spitting from his car towards another vehicle following Saturday’s Premier League clash between Manchester United and Liverpool, has apologised profusely for his actions.
However, Sky Sports, who initially suspended Carragher on Monday, have now completed their internal review and decided the best course of action is to suspend him from duty until the end of the 2017-18 campaign.
"Jamie has taken full responsibility for what has happened and we will ensure he gets the help he needs to guarantee something like this never happens again,” a Sky Sports spokesman said.
"Before the start of the next season we will sit down with Jamie to discuss whether he is ready to return to his role."
Police have made decision on Carragher and the driver
Things had the potential to get even worse for Carragher, with police poised to review the footage and decide whether further action should be taken against the former Premier League defender.
They have now made their decision, per BBC Sport, and opted not to charge Carragher with any offences because no complaint had been made against him.
As for the driver - 42-year-old Andy Hughes from north Wales, whose 14-year-old daughter was in the same car - police have ordered him to attend a driving improvement course but will not charge him for using his mobile phone while driving.
Both men, you could argue, can consider themselves extremely fortunate to avoid further punishment.
Hughes explains what police said to him
"They came down to give me some advice,” Hughes told the Mirror, revealing that he’d been visited by two policemen. “They asked me to contact them which I did immediately.
"They (the police) came down and told me, in a very serious fashion, that using your phone while in a car obviously has serious consequences.
"I had a long conversation with them. They understood I was parked - it was bumper to bumper - that's something else that was upsetting.
"People are saying 'he should go to jail because he was driving like a lunatic' but the car was basically stopped.
"I still obviously realise that when you are in your car with the engine running you don't use your phone. It was a mistake and I'm human. It was a bit of excitement which got out of hand."
Carragher tells public to leave Hughes and his family alone
Carragher, meanwhile, has called on the public to leave Hughes and his family alone following backlash for using his phone while driving with his daughter in the same car.
Have police made the right decision in this instance? Have your say by leaving a comment below.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms