It will be a credit to Gennady Golovkin's promoters if his fight on May 5 actually goes ahead.
The 36-year-old was due to fight Saul Alvarez again prior to the Mexican failing two drugs tests earlier this year, scuppering his chances of appearing on Día de Muertos.
The short notice of Canelo's withdrawal has made it very difficult for his Kazakhstani rival to find an alternative opponent.
Jaime Munguia was one option being explored, but the sport's authorities have prevented him from signing a deal because he is not yet deemed experienced enough, at the tender age of 21.
Equally, proposed bouts with Demetrius Andrade and Sergiy Derevyanchenko have been blocked, which must have been incredibly frustrating for Golovkin.
Alvarez, meanwhile, has used his hiatus to have corrective surgery on his knee, posting an Instagram update from his hospital bed, partly in an attempt to defuse rumours the operation had been simply cosmetic.
To make matters worse, Golovkin had originally proposed fighting in December of last year, but was made to wait six months by Alvarez's team - so, whereas he could have had another fight and another payday by now, the veteran has instead been left waiting around.
The 27-year-old has said sorry for the inconvenience, but it seems Golovkin isn't ready to accept his apology.
"He's not sorry"
"Canelo, of course like everybody said, he's a huge Mexican star," GGG told reporters, per the Express.
“Last press conference he said ‘I can’t, I’m sorry, I apologise, it’s my fault.’ Come on, get out of here.
“This is crazy, you know, this is crazy for people.
“He’s not sorry, no. He’s not a huge ambassador for boxing. He’s terrible man!”
It's easy to see why he is so disappointed, even if Canelo continues to protest his innocence.
The original fight ended in a controversial split draw and the rematch was supposed to settle things once and for all.
Instead, it has just created more animosity between the pair, who had engaged in remarkably little trash-talking before news of Canelo's ignominy emerged.
Golovkin's promoter Tom Loeffler has confirmed that the rematch could still go ahead if and when Alvarez is permitted to enter the ring again.
Do you hope the rematch goes ahead? Have your say in the comments.