Anthony Joshua's promotor Eddie Hearn seems less than impressed with the way this week's whole episode regarding the fight offer from Deontay Wilder has transpired.
Wilder sent Hearn and Joshua an email offering $50 million for AJ to accept a fight but according to the British promoter, there has proven to be no substance behind the bid claiming in an interview with Sky Sports that he was advised he needed to accept the deal first before any negotiations could take place.
The promoters of both heavyweights were due to meet earlier this week in America but that hasn't materialised either and Hearn has described the entire exchange as 'bizarre'.
"It's all very bizarre. I returned the email of Deontay Wilder and said we are very interested in making this fight, please send us a draft contract," said Hearn.
"He replied and said 'you have to accept the fight and then we will send you the contract'. I've never known anything so bizarre since I've worked in boxing.”
"It's bizarre, but we are talking to other people as well. There's probably about 50 people trying to make this deal at the moment. You've got Shelly Finkel, Al Haymon, Jay Deas and other people.”
Hearn also claimed the offer was nothing more than a “PR stunt”, yet was keen to state that talks were still pressing ahead.
He added: "I had a meeting with Shelly Finkel scheduled for Thursday, he cancelled that meeting. I requested a meeting for today (Friday) and he emailed me, while also emailing the entire press world, saying 'there is no point in meeting it would be non-productive - we have to accept the deal first.'
"It's always nice to call someone's bluff. What we've done is called their bluff here, and they won't even meet to talk about the deal.
To throw another spanner into the works, heavyweight contender Dominic Breazeale - who Joshua defeated two years ago - believes he is next in line to fight Wilder.
Breazeale's last fight saw him stop Eric Molina - another heavyweight that AJ has conquered - in the eighth round in Brooklyn in November 2017.
The 32-year old former Olympian Breazeale simply tweeted, 'I have been told I am fighting Deontay Wilder in August'.
It remains to be seen what is genuine and what is a publicity stunt, but hopefully egos and bravado can be put to one side and a deal can be done to give the boxing world the fight it wants.News Now - Sport News